Asked on Nov 14, 2015

My concrete patio has a large crack running across it

Joan TaylorJOHNNYB. Enne
+15

I think gophers undermined it...can it be repaired? Could I put pavers on top to make it look better?
  • JoAnn Dibeler
    JoAnn Dibeler

I had the same problem when I moved into my house 9 years ago. I had just built a deck and boardwalk to it from the small cement patio in front of the door. I just continued the deck look by laying down support lumber and adding decking boards over top of the cracked cement, a lot cheaper than pavers. Now I wish I had put preservative on the decking boards even though they were pressure treated because many of them need to be replaced now and probably the deck as well when I take up the indoor/outdoor carpet.

• Joan Taylor
      Joan Taylor

@JoAnn Dibeler Thanks for the advice. That may be what I will have done....and I will put the preservative on in the beginning thanks to your input.

• Kathy
    Kathy

How about posting a picture? It would help tremendously.

• Hope Williams
    Hope Williams

Hi Joan. Yes you can fix this. First, you need to make sure gophers are gone! (Gophers and moles are BAD this year here too!) Next, using a small stick-ish type something, like a 1X1, pack dirt extremely tight back into the "hole". Then get and follow instruction, cement crack filler. Be sure it's for outdoor use and not the indoor kind. Good luck and let us know it need more info.

Janet Pizaro

I don't think you should put pavers over the concrete. I recommend building a deck over the patio instead.

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

Can it be repaired - depends on how deep it is. You could plant moss.

• Rus1058682
    Rus1058682

El Monti has earthquakes, too.. but either way, if the ground wasn't compacted properly, I think it would happen again. if the deck answer is not an option, what about a rubberized coating similar to tennis courts, over the concrete? They come in different colors, and DO NOT CRACK.. We had to do this on a few patios when I worked in SoCal years ago.. Hope that helped.. R

• Joan Taylor
      Joan Taylor

Thanks! Never had a problem with earthquakes so far, but the darn gophers ruin everything. Will look into the coating when repair is made. We had a fake grass rug, then got a shedding dog and rug had to go. Rubber coating might look better than plain concrete.

• Connie Mar
    Connie Mar

Our concrete patio cracked after we removed a nearby tree and the roots deteriorated. Then, with alternating rain and drought, it heaved so it was removed. We have clay instead of dirt, which expands and contracts with moisture/dryness. A neighbor build a wood deck over their concrete patio block and haven't had any issues. Would recommend wood or trex boards over the patio block, not pavers.

• Joan Taylor
    Joan Taylor

Thanks! Good to know decks work out nicely. May have to try one.

• B. Enne
    B. Enne

You could fix the crack then install these: http://www.homedepot.com/s/outdoor%2520interlocking%2520tiles?NCNI-5 If the gap is big use this before filling with a caulk for concrete. It comes in different thicknesses, and you'll see in the reviews that someone used it for concrete.http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-3-8-in-x-20-ft-Caulk-Saver-C21H/100067266?MERCH=RV-_-rv_gm_pip_rr-_-100165680-_-100067266-_-N

• JOHNNY
    JOHNNY

Gophers did not crack your concrete. improper install, expansion joints, no wire, concrete mix, or ground movement.... Pavers on top of existing concrete ; yes, grind surface to elevate any rise's high spots, rented at h/d or rental yard. if ground and clean, apply concrete glue 20% solution and allow to dry, mix then set, or you may use mortar mix, but add concrete glue to mix, mix to a consistence of a stiffness, that if you pick it up (mix) w/ a trowel and turn it , it does not slide off. using a 1/2 notched trowel ( tile dept.) spread on concreate and place pavers. If the cracking is bad, go to a roofing supply and get yellow jacket, 40" wide, once concrete is prep'd ( clean ) glue down w/ concrete glue like wall paper overlap 3 ", allow to dry, then set pavers as above

• Joan Taylor
    Joan Taylor

I will try the repairs suggested....surely one will fix the problem.