Rachel Medina
Rachel Medina
  • Ogallala, NE
Asked on Mar 7, 2013

Repainting cabinets

Rachel MedinaBlueLine Home Maintenance & RemodelingPeace Painting Co., Inc.
+2

So a several years ago I painted my upper cabinets a cream color and the lower ones I painted black. I am wanting to paint all of them white now. Here is my thought, I can easily go over the uppers with white, I used latex for the paint. The bottom ones is where I have a dilema. The paint I used I believe was enamel. Do I have to sand first? I dont want to!! Can I just prime them first and then paint? I need some advice, please and thank you:)

This is far beyond my area of expertise. But @Peace Painting Co., Inc. will know.

• Ball Family Painting

enamel may just be the finish,my thought would be just to use enamel again,like a semi-gloss enamel,It may take 3 coats because of color

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Rachel, one principle in painting is don't paint over anything hard and shiny without preparing it properly. If you don't want there to be a possibility of future peeling then something shiny needs to be de-glossed. This can be quickly done with a fine sanding sponge run evenly over the surface. Even if you are applying water base paint over an old oil base paint, a simple sanding then a coat (or two) of TOP-LINE water-base enamel will serve you well. With the proper prep, the top of the line enamels are meant to stick to any surface. Best, Charles

• I would agree with Charles as you won't want to have to run into peeling within a few years and do this all over again with even more preparation work. You'll already have to use several coats to cover the black cabinets even with high quality paint.

• Rachel Medina

Thank you Peace Painting Co, Inc.- Charles:)