Melissa Woods
Melissa Woods
  • Saint Joseph, MN

Pallet Wood Family Values Sign

This project I'm sharing today is a perfect marriage between meaningful decor and practical parenting - exactly what my blog is about! I wanted to try a family values sign with my kids to remind them of behavior expectations in our household. I know they can't read, but I can read the sign to them and point to the value I want them to follow. Plus, it's a reminder to me the guidelines and qualities I want to instill in my children.
pallet wood family values sign, crafts, diy, home decor, pallet, wall decor
I got started by deconstructing a pallet and cutting the wood boards in half.
Stephen and I had compiled a list of 13 qualities we value and want to teach our children. 13 family values. 13 most important things we feel the desire to pass on to our children. But, I only had 6 pallet boards, cut in half made 12. I needed two more (one for the heading phrase). I used a couple boards from a leftover project.
flipped all the boards over and screwed in long, thin boards along the back to hold it together. I stood it on end and it worked great!
Then I spray painted it white.
The next part took the longest, but was also the most fun! Each board on the sign got its own family value that I freehand drew on with pencil first, then sharpie. I didn't use any stencils, so I was very careful writing out the words in pencil first to get the right spacing.
Here's the final result! Having something visual to reinforce our family discipline helps it to sink in and having this sign up as a guideline for behavior in our house has been a very effective tool.
I hope this sign stays in our house on our walls for years and years to come. As our children grow older and learn to read, this sign will be a constant reminder of the family values their parents want to teach them and the behavior that is expected of them. And besides all that, it's just a really cool addition to my decor, ha!
This is just one of many pallet wood signs I have made that decorate my home. Come to my blog to check out more!
Thank you for reading!

Melissa Woods

• Mary Ellen Callais

What a supper idea! I wouldn't be surprised if your kids make one in the future to have for their homes!

• Melissa Woods

Thanks Mary! You might be right; I hope it will be a piece of their home they never forget!

• Ran2188341

This will be the item your children will fight over in your belongings for ownership.