DIY Wood Christmas Tree and Advent Calendar

My youngest son is turning 17 this year, so it might be kinda late to upgrade our sad little advent calendar...but what if the calendar could do double duty. What if the calendar was not just an advent calendar, but Christmas decoration too. The idea being that the boxes are there to show the countdown to Christmas, but as each day is marked off, the box comes down and is replaced by an ornament. By Christmas you have a beautifully decorated tree.
No room for a tree? This tree only sticks out from the wall 6 inches.
No room to store a tree? This one could be shoved in the back of a closet.
No falling needles, it has the scent of cedar and it is super easy to build.
Don't need an advent calendar? Skip the boxes and go straight to decorating.
The bulk of the tree is made from these beautiful smelling cedar shingles. The wider ones were cut in half lengthwise so all the shingles are approximately the same width.
I had a 6 foot 2x3 sitting in my woodpile, so that it what I used as the structure for my tree.
Starting at the bottom, one piece at a time, lay out your shingles securing as you go. I used heavy duty long staples but you could also nail in place.
The only shingles that were ever cut were those that were at the tip of the tree. Any excess 2x3 can also be cut off when you get to the top.
The boxes are just pieces of mat paper folded into boxes with numbers modpodged on top.
The depth from the wall is only 6 inches.
Keep a box of extra ornaments on hand. As the box is opened, it can be replaced with another ornament. By Christmas you have your decorated tree.
Make sure you stop by for more tips, how I made the star, where to go for origami box instruction and so much more.
Still not sure? Check out my pallet wood Christmas tree from last year
http://scavengerchic.com/2014/11/23/pallet-wood-christmas-tree-diy/
tree

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
ScavengerChic