DIY Under the Sea-Themed Kid's Bathroom

With our little girl arriving in December, I decided to turn our "grown up" guest bathroom into a special under-the-sea-themed kid's bathroom. To do so, I painted the existing board and batten, baseboards, and crown molding an ultra white and painted the walls a colbalt blue.
After the base coat was completed, I went online and Googled images for coral and sea animal silhouettes. The idea was to make this bathroom as whimsical as possible, so I chose a variety of coral species and familiar animals, such as a sea turtle, Caribbean reef shark, jellyfish, fish, and manta ray. Once all of the items were chosen, I traced them directly onto overhead transparencies with a Sharpie. You could also print them out onto printable transparencies, too.
Then, using a school overhead projector (which we bought off of eBay for $15), I projected the images onto the wall to figure out where they should go.
I traced the items directly onto the wall using a piece of chalk. I wanted the coral to overlap in some places, so I traced them one at a time, painted the coral with a large-sized paint brush, and then traced the other coral over top.
All of the sea life was painted in a variety of colors.
And here's the final reveal!
The room is now bright, whimsical, and perfect for our little girl. I hope it'll fuel her imagination and inspire creativity in the years to come. Hope you love it as much as we do!
More photos and step-by-step instructions on how I completed this room may be found at my blog link below!
Kirsten S

• Lee Koppe

why put the paper so high?

• Donna Traver-Smith

I understand the toilet paper as I had 2 granddaughters that when they came to my house around age 2-3 loved to unroll the tissues all over the floor, they laughed so much
  • Kay Green

This room looks so dark. Did you take the pictures at night? Are there any windows?

• Natasha Marie Stephens

I think because the bathroom has no ceiling light fixture. It looks like the only light source is the vanity lights on the wall. It definitely needs a fixture installed on the ceiling so the light can be evenly distributed, especially since children are supposed to be using it eventually.
  • Jan7465929

What brand of paint?

• Cathy Nickson

I saw an ocean or aquarium toilet seat lid once would go perfecty with this :)
  • Tiffeney

This looks great, better than the over processed looks I usually see. Thanks, the blue is lovely.