Carol C
Carol C
  • Mentor, OH
Asked on Mar 8, 2013

I have golden oak cabinets (yuk)

Crystal MorganCarol CDecor 8
+6

I really don't want to paint them but rather a dark stain. In light of the fact that they are so grainy would the dark stain look artificial?
  • Ambershanelle

I would like to know the answer to this, too!

• Juanita

I'm not positive, but I kind of think it would look very grainy, just like you stained oak a dark color. I have some of those in a couple of bathrooms and laundry, and I think I'm going to paint mine.

• Carol C

Thanks, Juanita......I have that old mentality about not painting wood. If I can't get my mind out of this mode, I will stick with the oak and maybe the look will come back..............not!!!

• Jeanette S

I had to giggle Carol because I was POSITIVE olive or that orange and aqua combination would NEVER return! Or that small tile! Or dark cabinets in the era of everything white! Boy was I wrong. I now have an olive bathroom with small tile on the floor which is perfectly stylish. Actually someone came to my 43 year old house for the first time and commented on how pretty my "new" tile was...it is original! Just hang in there. Keep them clean and the kitchen uncluttered as possible with a busy family and love your home. Heck, we can't keep up with all the changes!

• Carol C

I hear you, Jeanette, but I just put a beautiful granite counter top on, new stainless appliances and beautiful porcelin tile floor. All that remains to be updated are the cupboards. Interestingly enough the cabinets look fabulous with my counters. Looks like it was planned. You are right, though, I still am not crazy crazy to make a change, but just feel it would complete my project. How about white walls coming back in....yikes!

• Jeanette S

I refused to do olive again and feel the same way about white! NO NO NO!!!

• Decor 8

You might try staining the inside of one of the cabinet doors to see how your dark stain will look. Golden oak hardwood floors that are sanded and stained dark are beautiful. Just a thought.

• Carol C

@Decor 8 - I know (in re: stained hardwood floors) and that's what keeps me coming to the dark stain. I have had many failures due to my brainstorm ideas, so if I do it, I really need to reassure myself it's a good move. Thanks for your input.

• Crystal Morgan

I don't think so, its real wood so it will look great