Lori Johansen
Lori Johansen
  • Flom, MN

Warming My Feet on the Coca-Cola Crate Footstool

DIY Coca-Cola footstool for tired feet. An easy up-cycle that anyone can do!
warming my feet on the coca cola crate footstool, chalk paint, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
I've had this Coca-Cola crate forever...so figured it was time to DO something with it! I'd seen these footstools on Pinterest and around the Net. Had to give it a go!
I started with a Coca-Cola crate, in red and looked through my "parts" bin in search of the perfect feet. I didn't want anything too tall, as it's a footstool and not an ottoman. I've been raised to believe that an ottoman should be wider and about the height of the chair it's sitting in front of. A footstool is much shorter, according to my mother.
After my chalk paint dried, I sanded a bit to get the distressed look I wanted. Easy peasy.
I looked high and low for a black background Coca-Cola fabric, but, sadly, I couldn't find anything. I picked up the red fabric at Wal-Mart. Score! It's very red, but I can deal with it AND it's easy to swap fabric when you find something you really love.
I cut some 1x2" trim pieces and placed them just under the (inside) top of the crate, to support my cushion. Using plywood, 3" foam, quilt batting and fabric, I formed the cushion, attaching to plywood using a staple gun.
A cute little footstool to rest my weary feet when warming myself by the fire.

• Cheri

Such a wonderful idea. It turned out just beautiful! I don't have any idea as to where that I could find these crates. Any ideas anyone?

• Lori Johansen

@Cheri Thanks so much! Most antique shops/malls will have the Coca-Cola crates...like this or in the yellow with red text. They'll normally run from $10-$30 or so.

• Jenny Joan Pearce

How much is it please?

• Lori Johansen

Oh, it's not for sale. Photo was just to show one of my projects. :) VERY easy to make though and vintage Coke (and other sodas) cases are found in most flea markets or antique shops.

• Pat whitmus

Thinking I will take a crate like this and use burlap to cover the cushion. It will go nicely in my home! Thanks for a great idea!

• Lyn2398900

I have two crates that are sectioned off, for pop. I still have them on my wall, side by side, with cassettes in the slots. Neat fit for old cassettes! Love the stool, and I have one unused crate!

• Lori Johansen

Very clever! I made this rather quickly, and it wasn't the fabric I was looking for (wanted a black Coke background), but it'll do for now. It now sits in our second guest room where the theme is all classic cars and Route 66. :D