2 different countertops materials OK in kitchen?

We hope to start on a complete kitchen remodel on our falling apart kitchen. New kitchen will be substantially larger, an L-shape about 20 x 12. Based on all of the wonderful qualities, I would really, really like quartz counters--but almost had a stroke when I saw the price of $9k for materials and install! this includes a 4in ceramic backsplash throughout, though I'm sure that's not a large expense. I would also like just a sheet of stainless steel behind the stove. ok so...

Any ideas on how to use two different materials? maybe quartz on the long leg and something else on the rest? Too wacky looking?

I've seen so many awesome creative kitchens here but I'm not so creative. We're also still getting over the shock of the cost of labor on the quotes we received--we are not diy'ers so we do need skilled labor. I've already eliminated the island to save costs and will use midgrade stock cabinets. I don't need a fancy kitchen, just functional and easy to clean with 4 monkeys running around. Thank you for any ideas!