How to repair cracked connector to bottom of toilet

The round piece that connects the toilet with screws has cracked. How to repair without breaking up the floor.
  10 answers
  • Darla Darla on Nov 17, 2015
    If it's the very top rim of the cast iron pipe is corroded, just where the bolts go in, you can get metal or plastic overlays to hold the bolts. If the pipe itself is cracked, you will need a plumber. You won't need to break up the floor to use the overlays.
  • Adam Adam on Nov 17, 2015
    I think so. Thank you so much. I will try it.
  • Kathy Bitzan Kathy Bitzan on Nov 17, 2015
    Take a trip to hardware store I think it can be replaced, may not be like the original but talk to them at the store they are pretty knowledgeable. or check on You Tube I find a lot of stuff on their I never thought I would... it's worth a try.
  • JCEllis JCEllis on Nov 18, 2015
    Is it PVC? It is usually glued and anchored to the floor itself, call a plumber.
  • Jaxon Jaxon on Nov 18, 2015
    You need to get a metal spanner flange to repair this. It's a half moon shape piece of metal with holes for the bolts. You will also need a new wax ring and some closet bolts. It's a very easy repair. Good luck!
  • Adam Adam on Nov 18, 2015
    It is the pipe that's connected to the bottom of the camode. the round piece that the screws go in that fastens itself to the commode broke.
  • Adam Adam on Nov 18, 2015
    Don't want to have to break the cement to replace the pipe. More expensive than I can afford right now.
  • Mark Mark on Nov 18, 2015
    Adam - they sell repair rings for this. Buy one, drill holes into the cement, bolt it down. Use new (high quality) flange gasket. Don't go cheap with parts on this. No busting up cement.
  • Asko, the big Finn Asko, the big Finn on Nov 18, 2015
    Hi Adam! If I understood right (more info and or picture would have been helpful), the toilet flange, which slips inside the pipe and is fastened to the floor, is broken. Take the old one out, if you can, and replace it with an expanding one. Slip it in and tighten the screw on the top and it will snug and secure in the pipe. Usually, that is the easiest way. Good luck!! Asko, Big Finn
  • JOHNNY JOHNNY on Nov 18, 2015
    Adam, I assume your referring to the toilet flange ?If so, some simple fix's w/o breaking up concrete. 1. If, the flange is presently flush w/ the concrete floor... Home depot or other have a flange w/ a tail piece w/ a rubber seal that you just push down inside the existing waste pipe. Align the new flange w/ the old, w/o the rubber 1st ( slots where the toilet bolts go) mark where the screws would go and drill into the old concrete, set w/ epoxy coated screws, in tile dept. of course prior to final insall replace rubber seal. after install use a smaller thinkness wax ring. 2. To replace toilet flange w/o breaking concrete, use a grinder w/ a metel cutting blade, cut as close to the cast iron pipe coming up, you do not have to cut all the way through as you are making a fracture point, once done around around waist riser into the toilet flange, using a cold small cold Chesil or a scrap screw driver, it will break, use eye protection. then install a new toilet flange as above. The key is to have an air tight seal. 3. Alternative, at flange slot breaking point, drill into the concrete, install a toilet flange screw ( type used in screwing into a wood floor ) insert an anchor approximate to bolt and set, make sure not to damage threads. hope this helps. Any question just ask...
Your comment...