DIY Plaid Throw Blanket From Vintage Wool Scarves

A plaid throw blanket is the perfect decor piece for winter and the holidays...and it's easy to make your own for just a few dollars!
Check out my original tutorial for more details!
One thing's for certain- thrift stores are FULL of discarded winter scarves. And when I went looking, I found all sorts of gorgeous wool plaid options- for just $1 each! A few had tiny moth-eaten holes, but that didn't bother me one bit! To create my throw blanket, I laid out my scarves on the floor. It didn't matter to me that they weren't all the same length- it just added character!
I pinned the first two scarves together, overlapping them just enough. With my sewing machine, I carefully stitched right along the edge of the top scarf, and then I did the same on the other side. ( Click here for a detailed schematic that explains everything- it's easy-peasy, I promise! )
When the pins were removed and the thread tails snipped, I had a fantastic mixed-plaid throw blanket!
I've already used it at a Fall bonfire party, and now it lives on our couch for snuggling while watching TV. :) Function and decor, all in on- and for WAY less money than a trendy vintage (or new) wool plaid blanket from a home decor store.

• Wool scarves  (Thrift Store)
  • Sewing notions  (Craft Store)

Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Sadie Seasongoods

• Lana Smith

Sadie, do you leave the tags on or do you remove them?

• Sadie Seasongoods

@Lana Smith Hi, Lana! I left the tags on them- I have a bit of a love affair with all things UK, so I left them be. But I did assemble it so that all the tags were on one side...that way, there's a side that show's no tags whatsoever (like the photo shows). :)

• Lana Smith

Do you remove the tags? :o)

• Wendy

No! wear them with pride! Yes, I'm English!!!

• Ellen

I agree...we sound like 2 peas in a pod! I'd love to see that guitar when it's finished! Could you send me a photo? My email is eribolla1@6 results are available, use up and down arrow keys to navigate.yahoo.com

• Anastasia

As always, another creative project. Am going to try this one!

• Doreen Kennedy

Adorable idea. Gives me an idea to make a simple quilt. I’m new to sewing so it would be an easy project for me. Thanks so much for sharing.