EASY Pallet Message Board

$0

This is for those people who HATE working with those impossible pallets. YES, they really are a pain in the butt to dismantle. I'm not a fan. So when this idea hit me to keep my kids school stuff organized, I was glad it didn't involve too much "pallet reconstruction"! So if you like the pallet look but don't enjoy the work involved with them, this is pretty minimal and is for YOU!
I only had to pry off three boards, leaving the bottom one. And in case you're wondering, YES, that is our beautiful old windmill in the background! Living here is a bit of a cross between living in a sweet dream and the movie "The Money Pit". Anyways...
Then I just grabbed the sawzall and sawed the top half of the pallet off, nailed a board across the bottom and it was ready to stain! I also sanded some of the roughness off. I used a gel stain, just because it's what I had on hand. Probably wouldn't use gel again, but it was free for me. Probably pulled it out of a free box at a garage sale. Really can't remember!
Part of living on this "dream property" is the excitement of finding old treasures in the barns - like a huge pile of clipboards (there are more under the makeshift table in the photo!).
I painted each clipboard with DIY chalkboard paint and then screwed them on. That's it! Now I have no excuse to keep my three kiddos organized. Right? :)
I started to pull out some of those old rusty nails, but then decided they would make good "hooks" and they kids might want them hang stuff on. That, or they were nearly impossible to remove and I gave up! :)
Visit my blog for more of this "dream property" and all of it's treasures I'm finding, refurbishing, and using in our home! www.kammyskorner.com

Kammy's Korner

• Bfr10140003

I have been wanting a place to put everyone's mail (I have older kids) and I love this idea!

• Nancy Watts

I really LOVE this idea - am actually putting myself and my husband on the board as well!! Thank you for sharing this.