Allison Murray
Allison Murray
  • Brownsville, TX

Brown Paper Bag Wreath Base

I love wreaths but I tend to steer clear of making them because it can get so pricey. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense when you can buy something ready made for so much less. So I wanted to make a base for wreaths that would be low, low cost allowing me to spend a bit on flowers and whatnot without it getting too costly. I found the answer in brown paper that was headed off to the recycling bin.
brown paper bag wreath base, crafts, how to, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor, wreaths
I've found that these natural wreaths tend to be very inexpensive. If you shop at a craft store that offers weekly coupons you can get a good sized wreath form for around $3.
My brown paper came to me in a package as filler instead of peanuts or bubble wrap. I'm finding that this is becoming a more popular shipping option so if you purchase online much you'll probably have a stack of this paper in no time.
If you don't have access to this free brown paper you can repurpose brown paper grocery store bags or grab a sack of paper lunch bags for around $1.
Allow the brown paper to wrinkle and twist up to give the wreath some interesting texture.
Because my base was so inexpensive I splurged on 2 floral sprays for around $5 total.
For more details and instruction photos about this wreath, please visit me at:
http://www.dreamalittlebigger.com/post/brown-paper-bag-wreath-tutorial.html
Allison Murray

1 question on this project