Choochi Pearson
Choochi Pearson
  • Bossier City, LA

How to make a bowl from Jute rope.

You need a bowl size of your choice. Cover with plastic wrap. Use a coat of Mod Podge, then begin to wrap jute starting from the top. Use Mod Podge to help hold in place. Let your bowl dry for 24 hours. Once dry, bowl will slip off easily.
Every thing here you need.
Every thing here you need.
The Mod Podge will dry clear. I did add another coat to the inside of the bowl, just to make it stronger.
I really like the rustic look of this project and have made this bowl in different sizes. Hope you all make one!

• Pinegirl

Is modge podge food safe?

• V

Mod Podge is not food safe. It's non-toxic, but becoming food safe requires a product to go through FDA approvals – not typical for art supplies.

• Terry

So, the plastic will be inside the bowl? It would be very hard to remove with the modge podge. Do you coat the outside of the bowl too?

• Ve

Just look at the picture, the plastic is only on the outside of the bowl

• Terry

Yes, I know that, but when the bowl dries, the plastic wrap will be glued (modge podged) to the inside of the jute bowl when you take it off the mold.

• Jane Lenher

Mod podge is not glue. Can you just damp rag remove any that stuck?

• Brandi Belton

Mod Podge is a glue. It's a thinned out glue used for decoupodging.

• Brandi Belton

Mod podge is glue. It's a thinned out glue used for decoupodging.

• Melonnie Johnson

I tried to do this at christmas for a gift. I really must not have done it right, because I could not get the jute rope to stay put. It kept falling off the bowl and the plastic wrap and I were in a constant state of war. I'd like to see a tutorial on how this is done. Thank you. I love the look and really would like to duplicate.
  • Cecile Pearsall

I've never used Modge Podge but I bought some for some crafts. Question......I cover the back of the bowl with plastic wrap. Coat with the Modge Podge, then start putting the rope all around the back of the bowl. Leave 24 hours then remove the bowl. Do I put Modge Podge over the finished rope? Then leave another 24 hours? Or do I leave the bowl where it was and remove it when everything is finished. Will it come out? Many thanks

• Jo

Saran Wrap, Mod Podge, rope, Mod Podge, dry, add Mod Podge to inside, dry...... done!
  • Sai7940282

Where does the Saran wrap come into play
    • Gail

Put it over the bowl so the mod lodge doesn't stick to it.
  • Peggy

Is the bowl now washable? I have never used ModPodge.
    • Shirley

My guess is No. I will use mine as bread bowls & line with a cloth
  • Theresa

When I removed bowl after it was dry, the plastic wrap stuck to the inside of the bowl. Any suggestions?

• Theresa

• Debra Rowland

I have been making a lot of the bowls and the wrap always sticks to the inside of the bowl. I does not bother me I kinda like it. I use cling wrap.

• Debra Rowland

I have been making this bowl with jute and rope and love them. I don't leave them to dry but about 12 hours and that takes care of the wrap sticking. Choochi thanks so much for showing this.