Refashionably Late
Refashionably Late
  • Minneapolis, MN

DIY File Cabinet Desk

I'm here for another round of The Home Depot Gift Challenge! I'm really enjoying teaming up with some of these amazing ladies and really getting my creative juices rolling! In this challenge (if you are new here) we are to take one item from The Home Depot and create something with that item. We are not sponsored by Home Depot; we just love their products and visit them frequently! This month's challenge was all about furniture legs.
diy file cabinet desk, decoupage, how to, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
Onto the tutorial....here are the items that you will need to complete this project:
2 furniture legs
file cabinet
wrapping paper
mod podge
wood for desktop
spray paint
gorilla glue
First I used mod podge to adhere the cut to size decorative wrapping paper to the front of the drawers. I removed the handles and spray painted them gold. I then spray painted everything except the top of the file cabinet as I wanted the glue to adhere nicely to the top of the cabinet.
The next step was to cut the legs to size. The legs I bought were too tall for the height of the file cabinet.
For the full tutorial please head on over to my blog! I love how it compliments my craft closet and guest room! I can't wait to do my first craft on it!

Refashionably Late

• Wandalee

I have thought about a similar project using two cabinets? Is there any specific reason you decided on legs ?

• Frances

In a small room/area it gives the perception of a more open feeling. Also a glass top would help to create an illusion of openness.

• Suzanne

Do you use a spray gun?

• Nikki

What type of wood did you use for the top? I like the smoothness of it. Is it sturdy enough for a computer?

• Sharon Rose

Nice job, love the black chair, great pop of contrast there. As far as the size of the chair, if its the right height for the user, it fits!

• Martine

I love the look. The black chair makes it pop. Well done!