The Redesign Habit
The Redesign Habit
  • San Diego, CA

A Quick DIY Project: House Numbers

$10.00

I wanted new and bigger house numbers but the cost seemed too much to me. So what do you do? Make them yourself, of course! Read on for the steps to this project.
a quick diy project house numbers, crafts, curb appeal, repurposing upcycling
Buy your frames. I chose Square black frames, found at the dollar store, on sale two for one so these were 1.00 apiece.
I cut backers out of foam core board to fit inside the frame because the backers in the frame wouldn't work. If your frames come with plain backers, you can skip this step.
I wanted some color and pattern on the borders of the backer boards so I used duct tape that was also bought at the dollar store. You can get as creative as you like here!
Get your numbers ready. I wanted dimension so I decided to go without glass and use wooden numbers that would stand up. I painted this black to contrast with the white backer board and to match the black frames. You could also use the adhesive numbers and keep your glass in your frame or use plexiglass if you wanted to.
Once all your paint has dried, glue your numbers on your backer boards. Use a good strong glue, like Gorilla glue so they will hold up. Once they are dry, put them in your frames.
All that is left now is to hang them up! I used heavy duty mounting putty to hang these up because I have a very rough stucco exterior on my house. You will have to decide how you want to hang yours depending on your siding and the kind of weather you have.
Side Note: I live in a year-round warm weather climate and was able to hang these under a nice overhang. If you live somewhere where it gets really cold or is very wet then you would want to make some adjustments to the materials you are using or maybe bring these out only during the warmer months.
The Redesign Habit