Laura G
Laura G
  • Marblehead, MA
Asked on Mar 9, 2013

Pocket Door installation

Pre1794202Laura GKMS Woodworks
+1

Can a pocket door be installed, from scratch, if only one wall is taken down? I would like to put it in an existing wall to close off the kitchen from the dining room. When my kitchen is redone one side of the wall will be taken down but I don't want to take down the dining room wall to install the pocket door. A contractor will be doing the work. Thanks in advance for your help
  • Jeanette S

Why not use what is called the Barn Door kit to put the door up on the outside of the wall. It can probably be found at the big box stores. Go on line and research it.

• KMS Woodworks

If the wall is load bearing a header will be needed, if not load bearing you still need to re-frame the wall. Pocket doors slide into a hollow "track" that needs to be free of regular studs, electrical, pipes etc. The free space that the door slides into needs to be a couple inches wider than the width of the door.

• Laura G

Thanks for your responses-I'll look into the Barn Door.

• Pre1794202

Yes, you can remove only one drywall side. We did this in my laundry room. Use an oscillating saw to get behind the attached drywall you want to save. Just grind off the drywall screws/nails from the drywall. (only for non-weight bearing walls.)