The Old Lamp Revamp

$0

On October 31st we entered our 3rd year in our home. But since we moved in, the only place I've neglected is our guest bedroom. Thanks to Greg and his woodworking skills (a little brag about my hubby was in order, as he really did an awesome job!), the room has a beautiful, rustic, queen-size guest bed, which I topped with really cute bedding. But unlike the rest of our home, our guest bedroom still doesn't have that homely feel - it's just not welcoming or warm enough. With the holidays approaching, we decided to give that project a start and step-by-step turn our guest room into an inviting place a guest would feel welcome. *Affiliate links used in this post*
With that plan in mind, I went shopping in our basement. Whaatt? Shopping in a basement for a guest bedroom redo?? Well I have to say, no one should underestimate our basement! It is like a small-scale department store, with all sorts of junk waiting to have a makeover or get up-cycled, like the old lamp I found hidden behind a stack of broken chairs. Although the lamp was outdated and the shade was ripped on one side, I thought trying a little makeover couldn't make it worse. So I grabbed it and got to work.
First I thought I should paint the main body, but then I decided that wasn't a good idea, since I didn't know how to repair the ripped shade. After going back and forth between ideas, I ended up somewhere in between rustic and industrial.

As the plan was to turn it into something rustic and industrial, I started searching for some ideas for the shade and also searched for affordable Edison Bulbs.

In the mean while I spray-painted all the metal parts with flat black paint. I also DIYed a simple shade for it. You can find all the details about the shade on the blog post.
Once I found a suitable Edison bulb, I started putting everything together and voila!
Here is a close up picture of the beautiful Edison Bulb.
I am so happy with the new look of the 'old' lamp. As we are currently painting the guest bedroom, I didn't want to take any pictures in the room. But I know it is going to look fantastic when I place it right next to the rustic bed that Greg built.

3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Mary
    Mary

Well done! Do you have any tips on how to start and end the rope for a finished look?

• @Mary As English is not my native tongue, sometimes it is hard for me to explain my thoughts. So as soon as I got back home I took pictures of what I meant. I hope this helps!

the old lamp revamp, crafts, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, I start with a straight cut end as shown in the picturethe old lamp revamp, crafts, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, but because I don t want to have the gap at the overlap point which you can see in the this picturethe old lamp revamp, crafts, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, I trim the end at an angle as shown in this picturethe old lamp revamp, crafts, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling, So when I start the second row i have almost no gaps at that overlap point
  • Christy Estabrook
    Christy Estabrook

Whst is the wire cage insert?

• Peggy
    Peggy

After adding the lampshade frame and the basket did you have room for a finial to screw on?

• Daisy
    Daisy

Absolutely love the shade, just beautiful!! Not crazy about the base but to each his own.

• Kay
    Kay

I think this lamp is absolutely great! Great job you did!