Maple Seed Butterfly Art

I had been planning on making some art work using a bunch of helicopters (a.k.a. maple seeds) I had gathered and I knew a butterfly would be the perfect subject.
I picked up an old window at the flea market for $10. I decided on a coral color scheme and created an ombre effect by mixing the paint myself.
I love the way the helicopters look in their natural dried state, so I chose to leave them that way for the outer and inner borders of the butterfly.
Now for the how to's. To create your own maple seed butterfly art you'll need:
1) Maple Seeds (a.k.a. helicopters)
2) Old Window or Framed Glass
3) Craft Paints
4) Glue (I used E-6000)
Spring and fall are the best times to gather maple seeds. After you collect them you'll want to allow them to dry out. You can accelerate the drying process by laying them out in a single layer in a window sill. After a few days they will fade to the desired color.
Decide on a color scheme and buy or mix your paint. If an ombre effect is desired you can start with the darkest paint as your base and then mix in white or cream to lighten the formula each time you paint a new layer.
Draw or print out an outline of a butterfly sized to fit the frame you are using.
Place the drawing beneath the glass, centered within your frame. Begin gluing the helicopters around the outer edge, following the general shape of the outline as shown.
Once you have finished the outline you are ready to start on the second layer.
Glue the second layer, overlapping the first layer and covering the seed pod.
Continue gluing each consecutive layer in the same manner until your butterfly is complete.
Thank you so much for stopping in! Happy creating!

15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Tarnished Royalty

• Judi B

How long did this take to make? What kind of paint did you use?

• Lori Nordine

Durability..I am in the process of creating a butterfly too..love the colors you used and this just happens to be one of the colors of my new granddaughter's nursery! I decided instead to put mine in a shadow box. What I'm wondering about is the durability...did you happen to use anything like hairspray to aid in protecting the fragileness of the seeds? Maybe the paint helped also?

• Tarnished Royalty

Hi Lori, I didn't use any kind of sealer but it probably wouldn't hurt to spray them before gluing them on. The paint definitely helps give them more substance. Happy creating!

• Kelli

Do you let flowers dry out completely before you paint them?

• Janet Anne Burgess

This is beautiful! I would love to try this! btw i love that you call the seeds helicopters...haha I thought i was the only one that did that! lol

• CG

Kim I definitely am interested. Please tell me what you want for them. I want a big amount. gloria