Christmas Yule Log DIY Tutorial

The Yule log has been a tradition in European countries for centuries. Like the Christmas tree, it’s origin has Pagan roots (pun intended) that were incorporated into Christian traditions. But whether you celebrate Christmas or Yule (or both, or neither!) the Yule log is a fun way to begin a new tradition with your family and friends.
christmas yule log diy tutorial, christmas decorations, crafts
The following are is Yule log tutorial to make the Yule log you see pictured here, but there is no law saying you have to make it the same way using the same materials. Traditionally, one would use materials found on their land or grown locally.
To make a Yule log similar to the one I made here, you will need the following materials:
A wood log (I used almond)
Redwood branches
Ivy branches
Mistletoe
Holly berries
Pine cones (not pictured)
Cinnamon sticks (not pictured)
3 Taper candles
Hot glue gun and glue stitcks
Please note some of these plants such as mistletoe are toxic to pets, so make sure to check if any of the plants you plan to use are toxic. If they are, make sure to keep them where your pets can’t get to them.
Trim candles so they are the same length and have a level bottom for gluing to the log. Glue the candles to the log. You can drill holes in the log to better hold the candles, but just covering the candle ends with hot glue and pressing them on the log seems to hold them securely enough. If you don't feel comfortable with just gluing the candles to the log, you can drill holes an inch or two down into the log the same diameter as the candle base.
Add the redwood and ivy branches, criss-crossing the cut ends between the candles. Add the pine cones, then layer the mistletoe and cinnamon sticks in between and around the candles.
Now light the candles and enjoy your beautiful Yule log! It makes a great centerpiece!
For more detailed instructions with pictures, please visit my blog by clicking on the link below!
Have a wonderful holiday season!
Michelle
The Painted Hinge
The Painted Hinge

• Ceres Yurkiw

Thank you for sharing. I'll try it.

• Telena Cooper

Hi! I was wondering what I can put on my Yule log to prevent the bark from coming off? I inherited it so its very old.

• The Painted Hinge

Hi Telena! If the bark is really thin (like paper), you could try some type of spray sealant, like a clear top coat. If it's thick bark, I don't know what you could do outside of gluing the bark back on to the log if it comes off. Either of these things could make the log more flammable, so if you do decide to try either of these, please be careful with the log around flame or candles. I hope these suggestions help! :)