A Contest and a Learning Curve: My First Upholstery Project,

I’m weird. I’m super, super competitive–though not in an unhealthy way, I don’t think–but I don’t really enjoy contests. Too much pressure. However, I stumbled upon the Fab Furniture Flippin’ Contest (FFFC) via Facebook and other bloggers, and thought, Hey, why not?
The contest brings together various DIY, furniture, and home decor brands /businesses and bloggers, like myself. Recent collaborations include General Finishes, D Lawless Hardware, HomeRight, and this month, Minted. At the risk of embarrassing myself, I’m going to admit that prior to the securing a spot in the contest–a feat in and of itself–I had never heard of Minted. After perusing the site for, um, about 5 seconds I realized I had been missing out. Beautiful paper, (I am a SUCKER for beautiful paper), art, home decor and most things in between. My favorite part, though? The concept. Designers submit their designs, the Minted community votes on which designs meet muster and appeal to them, and then Minted “mints” them via their site. Minted. Get it? Products include fabric, art, pillows, paper, cards, stationary, invitations, and Christmas cards. Pssssst: If I win, I’m so ordering my Christmas card from them, and even if I don’t win, I’m so ordering my cards from them.
A tired mid-century barrel chair and "matching" ottoman that I found in the dump were the perfect makeover candidates. Both possessed great lines and were structurally sound--that's all I needed to move forward.
The battle commenced with staple removal, which was especially difficult, given the groove the staples were nested in.
As a upholstery newbie,I mustered up some courage and applied Dacron to the existing foam in order to create a smoother finished product.
I choose these two fabrics, from Minted, to reupholster the original and began the process of reconstruction. But first, I messed up--several times!--stapled my index finger and stress ate cauliflower! Somehow, with some serious help from my man, I managed to get it done.
I was really intrigued by these casters--something I've not seen on a barrel chair before.
To read the entire story, check out Queen Patina's blog post.

Queen Patina