Bennie Kerce Warwick
Bennie Kerce Warwick
  • Starke, FL
Asked on Mar 10, 2013

Stains In bathtub

DeeDeeMichelleGretchen
+4

I purchased a house owned by a very elderly couple. They had a rubber mat in the bathtub with holes in it . They apparently could not clean very well.The stains where the holes were I can never remove no matter what I use. Can you help?
  • Decor 8

You might try filling the bathtub with about 2 inches of plain old vinegar. Let it soak for a day or two. It is probably a mixture of dirt and minerals from the water in your area. The vinegar could break down the minerals and loosen the dirt. I use it here in our area to get lime buildup from our water out of the refrigerator ice/water door tray, etc. I don't know if it will work but vinegar is cheap and it is worth a shot. Please let me know if it works.

• KMS Woodworks

have you tried a magic erasure? ...it is basically a supper fine "sander"

• Carroll A

I had the same problem with my tub, but add black marks from a shower chair. We did a couple things. Krud Kutter took off most of the stains and marks. Then we soaked the tub in a bleach/ water bath, then scrubbed with a non abrasive cleaning... I think Mr. bubbles, can't remember for sure. There was a few faint stains left. But they soon vanished after normally weekly cleaning in about a month. My tub is cast iron, so keep in mind if yours is too, you don't want to do anything to remove the finish.

• Becky M

I use awesome cleaner

• Gretchen

Bar Keepers Friend (for porcelein)

• Michelle

I'm always up for non-toxic solutions. I would try to put baking soda - a lot - on the stains and moisten with hydrogen peroxide. Kind of make a puddle. Let it sit overnight. Then scrub with a non-scratch sponge. You can also use Borax if you have that.

• DeeDee

Hi there! I agree with Gretchen! See my post here: http://www.hometalk.com/1092591/a-clean-sink-s-friend