Repurposed Oven Racks

I am new to Hometalk and all of you are so creative and inspiring I thought I'd give a project a try. This was quick and simple. I did not think to take pics along the way so I will just describe it.
My old stove died last weekend. Before it was carted off, I grabbed the oven racks and used them to mount my measuring cups, spoons, and strainers. I used "monkey hooks" ( the kind that curve back once they are in the wall) to hang the racks themselves. I created "S" hooks from some floral wire I had laying around. Since the hooks kept sliding about, I wrapped the rack in yarn to keep them in place.

Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration

• Daisy
    Daisy

Where did you buy the hooks?

• Daisy
    Daisy

Can't seem to locate a place to purchase the hooks, are they a specific kind?

• Judi
      Judi

Command Hooks should work you can get them at any hardware store or walmart, kmart, target.
  • Angela Bohot
    Angela Bohot

How cani turn them into wall shelves for books and movies
    • Kar
      Kar

You could attach them to the wall so that they are hanging as I have done here. Then put hooks in the wall up above the racks and attach chains to. Lift the racks into a shelf position and attach the chains to the outer edge (it was the bottom edge when the rack was hanging straight down) of the rack. Be certain to use strong hooks and chains for heavy objects like books.

• Gabrielle Falk
    Gabrielle Falk

I did something similar to this - years ago. My husband made a square frame, and horizontal narrow slats - thin enough to hang pots, sieves, etc. off. What I found is that these items would get very dirty and greasy in no time; which would require taking everything off (and I had more that a few items hanging off the rack!), washing in hot, soapy water, and re-hanging. Eventually gave up, and took the rack down. The exhaust fan in the kitchen wasn't 'crash hot', so maybe that could have been part of the problem. Good idea though.

• Kar
      Kar

I used all of the items constantly so that was not an issue for me. The stuff on top of the refrigerator, though....

• Gabrielle Falk
    Gabrielle Falk

The 'decorator' kitchen, hanging items, were never used as such - they were just there for decoration. Plus. The frame was over and behind the 'fridge, and I could only get to the items by getting out the step ladder. A total pain.