Debra
Debra
  • Seymour, CT
Asked on Mar 10, 2013

how to paint spindles on chairs

KateDebraJim Jakes
+2

Can someone please tell me how to paint a chair that has spindles? When I paint the seat part I get paint on the lower part of the spindle. I try to remove it while I am painting but it just becomes a mess. I do not have a paint gun so I am using a brush and a sponge brush. Is there anyway to avoid getting the paint on the spindles as I am going to be painting them a different color. I will appreciate any advise that I can get.
Thank you
Sincerely
Debbie
daubin56@yahoo,com
  • KMS Woodworks

You might want to scale down your brush, for really detailed work I like to use a small 1" angled "sash" brush. for even more detail I will often switch to artist brushes. I would paint the spindles first, allow them to fully dry ( a few days) then you can mask them off if your technique is a little rough. A spindle is easier to mask than the flat area around it.

q how to paint spindles on chairs, painting, Small brush for detail work
  • Debra

Great !!! Thank you for your help

• Jim Jakes

On work like this and when using different colors I sometimes use 3/4'' artist brushes. Yes it is tedious but so is chasing those drips and runs. You can get in close with it as well.

• Debra

Thank you for your help

• Kate

Could you tape them off? No need to be precise all the way if you want to keep the paint off the whole leg. Just put a big plastic bag over the legs, and tape it carefully at the join with the seat.