A. nguyen
A. nguyen
  • Kenmore, WA

Building A Treehouse

We're parents of two small boys who live in a 1200sq ft house. To give us some more space, we build a treehouse for them in the backyard. We picked a good, sturdy cherry tree and did research on how best to build a treehouse without doing much damage to the tree. We asked our kids their input on what they wanted most, and took it into consideration (sadly, electricity was not included. :) It took us about
The treehouse, front view.
The treehouse, front view.
What one of the joist holding it on the non-tree side looked like.
We used clear, plastic roofing to help let in light.
The inside of the treehouse.
The inside of the treehouse.
We made the door curved and stained it to give it more personality.
A. nguyen

• Joan Bringle

More details about how to build the tree house. I've never built anything. Thanks!

• A. nguyen

Hi Joan! If you've never built anything, this may not be the starter project for you. :) This was a basic deck design, and then we pre-fabricated the walls using plywood and studs, and then joined the whole thing together on top of the tree. I want to state that we built this seven years ago, and it's still holding up great!

• Lori Stevens-Nicholas

I love the clear plastic roof. It let's in the light but also let's in a great view of the tree above. :)

• Joan Bringle

I will build this if I can get more instructions if possible. I'm a woman, never built anything before but I want a tree house by my lake just to sit and enjoy looking and listening to the birds.