Crystal Snowflakes...

$6

Hometalk Disclaimer: Project may not be safe for children or animals. Please take preventative measures when doing this project to ensure a safe experience. Make sure to seal or coat the project after.

This is an oldie but a goodie... yeah I just said that... but its true... This is one of the DIYs that I shared on a local tv show called Kim's Christmas Cottage here in Calgary - it's a great one to do with you kids or grandkids as long as your taking safety measures.

Supplies

You will need borax, string, pipe cleaners, a container to hold enough liquid to cover over your snowflake completely, boiling water, measuring spoon, stirring spoon, skewer.

Snip your pipe cleaner pieces

Start by making a snowflake out of your pipe cleaner - the shape and size is up to you (as long as they fit within your container) for my shape of snowflake start with three equal pieces of pipe cleaner and twist them together...

Twist your pipe cleaner pieces

...even out the arms of your snowflake and prepare 12 shorter pieces of pipe cleaner to make all of the little snowflake points...

Make little v's

I like the look of two V's twisted onto each arm of the snowflake...

Lots of little v's

I worked my way around until all six arms hadtwo little V's...

Tie a string on

...and then tie a string onto the snowflake with enough slack to suspend it into your container...

Prepare the magic solution

Then prepare your magical solution... for every cup of boiling water you need three table spoons of borax... stir until he borax is completely dissolved... this is the reason that you want to do this craft craft with your little ones - they'll need you to help with measuring the borax and handling the boiling water :) You can also add some food colouring here if you would like coloured snow flakes!... experiment and have fun!

Submerge the pipe cleaner snowflake

Tie the end of the string to a skewer and hand the snowflake in the solution ensuring it is completely covered and not touching the bottom...

Wait... and wait some more

Now comes the hard part... waiting until the next day for your crystal snowflake to develop!... as the hot water cools there is less room for the borax molecules and the cooler water squeezes them out... and they cling to the pipe cleaner!

Pull out your crystal creation...

Once the solution has cooled over night pull your crystal snowflake out and lay it on a paper towel to dry!

Add a bow

Once it has dried tie on a little ribbon bow and hand that crystal baby on your tree!

Hang it on your tree!

ta da!

Feathering My Nest - Lacey Haskell

• Judy

Does it work to put two or three separate strings with pipecleaner in one batch? As in, does it matter if they touch each other a little? Is there enough borax to have the same or at least a good effect with more in one batch? Have 2 grandgirls to do this with & would like to make several (not just one each - as I know they will love this) 7 & 4 yrs old. - we have made lovely popsicle stick snowflakes, glue at the centre, 4 sticks (crazy glue type of glue works best & only I handle the glue - they place the stick) So - ready right away to uses regular clear glue for sparkles/glitter of all types. They love it. Very effective.

• Linda Youngblood

If you seal these, do you know how long they will last?

• Kelley

What do you seal these with?