Asked on Nov 24, 2015

What is the best way to keep my glass shower doors clean?

Lisa LanePatricia FlynnWet & Forget
+37

My husband just remodeled our bathroom and we have the most gorgeous glass shower now. We have been using a squigee every time we shower to try and keep it spot free but we are losing the battle. I wanted to ask for help here since I am sure someone has a great tip to help me! If you have any suggestions as to how I can keep the glass clean longer, please let me know. I have added photos for reference. Thanks​ everyone!
We put in a 36 inch wide door since this will be our "last house" we wanted to make it wheelchair accessible.
We later added a teak fold down seat which helps alot too! You can see we have alot of glass to keep clean, lol.
  • The Redesign Habit

The first tip of course is to clean the glass regularly. After it's clean, rub a little lemon oil on glass. It will help the water bead and roll right off and helps prevent scum from building up.

I use white vinegar and water with paper tpwel.

• Sam Mcgee

put a squeegy in there and wipe it down after every shower. Only takes a couple minutes but it really helps.

• Brenda

Rain-X!

• Sandy cox

Clean with vinegar and water wipe with paper towel. I then use a wax I use on my vehicle.let it almost dry, then wipe off like you would with your vehicle. Water beads off.

• Mary Wilson

I wipe mine down with the towel used to dry with, it stays pretty clean, even my husband does it.

• Barb

We have a bathroom downstairs with a large glass door. We have 1 1/2 baths upstairs so I don't allow anyone to shower down stairs. There is a sink and toilet they can use, however. Ok, my solution isn't the greatest but I just wanted to take the time to tell people how much work that kind of a shower door is. They look pretty in the showroom but are a pain to keep clean!

• Lagree Wyndham

Car Wax

• Sarah A. Victory

My husband and I always rinsed the shower and used a squeegee to remove the rest of the water. Wiping down w/your bath towel after a shower like another person mentioned also works well and I have done that, also. As long as that is done on a regular basis your glass shower stays beautiful. It is a great help to train one's children to do this also. Easier said than done--I know! :)

• Patricia Cushing

a silicone based car wax. Put on let it haze over and buff off. I do it a few times a year. Then dry it off with you towel after you are done drying you.

• CK

Well I found a very "accidental" way to help reduce spots on glass shower doors. I accidentally splashed some hair conditioner on my door. When I wiped off the water after the shower I noticed that all the spots were gone in that area! So later I cleaned the entire glass door, then put a small "coating" of hair condioner on it, rinsed and wiped dry. Surprisingly the glass stayed spot free for many showers! BTW it wasn't any high end conditioner. You could try this and if it works, great! If not, you just wash it off till the glass till it's 'clean' again.

• Colleen

The same thing happens if you wipe down the glass with with dryer sheets. Dissolves spots and keeps them from coming back as quickly. Maybe it's the silicones?

• Vicki at Entri Ways

Me Clean magic erasers are the easiest way to clean soap scum in a shower.

• Hope Williams

Just squeegee dry after every shower. It will work wonders. Secondly, stay away from bar soap! It contains the waxy substance that makes them scummy! Easy peasy!

• Patty

Clean the glass first and then use Turtle Wax for autos. Let easy get a haze and I use a drill with a buffing attachment and buff the glass,,dry your glass after shower with paper towels and do this every three months,,works great. By the way, I learned this from some campers, we had a Motor Coach and it really worked well,,been doing this for 16 years. Good Luck!!!

• Joe Howell

Aquapel, it's like Rain-Ex for shower doors

• Gale

I take a spray bottle fill it half with Dawn dish soap & half with white vinegar Every couple of months I'll spray down and take a scrub to it, the water stain come right off!

• Kreeta Haffner

Use a microfiber cloth

• Sylvia

Gale is RIGHT .. and it's cheaper toooo !!!!! Dawn & vinegar !!!

• Tanya

Gale is right on the money. I keep a spray bottle of white vinea Ned dawn, the original blue. 50/50. I use a scratch pad for this. Takes it right off.

• Ann

Rain X was the best, follow directions. You will need to redo the glass every couple of months.

• Jewellmartin

When we moved into our house with a similar shower, which we love, my frien Jenny told me to buy a hard plastic squeegy thing from the auto parts store, and use it after every shower. Ten years later, the glass still looks perfect. Once a year, I use foaming bubbles on the glass, just because i feel I should. Now the soap scum on the tile and floor, I do what your others readers do.

• Cindy Wheeler

The best way to keep the glass spotless is to squeegy the glass then towel dry. They glass, walls and shower pan will stay clean and new looking forever. Mine are 15 years old and spotless. It takes some time to get into the habit but worth it.

• Sheri Gomez

@Cindy Wheeler Thanks Cindy! We had been doing ok until my hubby needed surgery and couldn't lift his arms, LOL, I am taking care of him til he's better and I let it get away from me being so overloaded right now...I will start all over again and your post gives me hope, Thanks!!

• Linda

I have used a thin coat of lemon oil after weekly cleaning. It's natural and it smells good. Just remember a thin coat.

• Sue

I keep an extra hand towel draped over the glass and use it to wipe off the glass after every shower. 10 years later and I've yet to have to scrub my glass.

• C

I just read a solution for this yesterday on pinterest, so your timing is perfect - hope I can post the link here. You only need to do this twice per year using "Clean-X Invisible Glass Shield protector 2000" product, along with using a squeegy like you've been doing. http://www.annsentitledlife.com/library-reading/twice-a-year-cleaning-secret-for-sparkling-shower-doors/ Also a microfiber cloth work great too.

• Robin

I had well-water which would normally leave a rust color stain (along with soap scum) I spray rain X on it and never once did it build up with soap scum or rust color. et it dry over night.

• Snapoutofit

I have heard to use body wash instead of bar soap; it won't scum up the doors.

• Annie

Hi, I use a magic sponge that can be purchased from any supermarket cleaning aisle. They also gets rid of scuff marks on floor tiles and walls.

• Sheri Gomez

AAHH!! I don't seem to have any luck with the vinegar and water but I don't know the "ratio" to use either...I'm not sure if it was 50/50 and I can't seem to find it in these posts, I thought it was in here..I didn't want to use too much vinegar so I just put 1/4cup of it in a spray bottle and it isn't removing the spots so I still need help. If anyone knows how much vinegar to use or any other way to remove the spots??? Thanks!

• Tanya

Hey Sheri, I use vinegar and the original blue dawn. 50/50. Oi pour it into a spray bottle and just go at it. I recently lived in a house on well water. My toilet and tub, along with all the tile surround were this nasty, gross and disgusting dark brown stains. I spray this on just about anything, from the kitchen to the bath and anything in between. It works. You can give it a try, I hope it helps.

• Sheri Gomez

Yeah, thanks Tanya...our shower is new so it wasn't that bad. It turns out I just wasn't using enough vinegar AND not enough elbow grease, LOL, my hubby got in there and cleaned it all off without a problem. It really stunk after he finished with the vinegar that's for sure!

• Sheri Gomez

Lots more white vinegar and a strong husband, that's what worked for me, LOL, he is a Master Plumber so he has alot more upper body strength than I do.

• Tanya

Hehe, they do come in handy at times, huh? It does stink, but lord it's so much better than the commercial stuff I was buying. Glad it worked for you v

• Wet & Forget

Hi Sheri, a great product to use weekly is wet and forget shower. This product helps to prevent the build up of soap scum, grime, and oils. It also cleans mold and mildew. It is easy to use by just spraying once a week. To learn more here is a link to the website: http://www.wetandforget.com/product_wet_and_forget_shower.html

• Patricia Flynn

I use Rain-X after cleaning the glass, the water just beads and does not leave spots, you can buy it in the automotive section of any Wal-Mart or Target etc. You do not need to clean shower glass so often when you use it

• Lisa Lane

I use a foaming bleach cleaner and rinse with a Rinseroo (works great and makes you not dread cleaning the shower). The key is to clean it often.