How to Make Your Own 10 Minute Grain Sack Pillows... Christmas Style!

I have this thing for grain sacks. Or burlap coffee bean bags. I just love the rustic texture and vintage flavour!
But they aren't always easy to find. Or can be costly. But more often than not, they can be in rough shape.
So I took it up on myself to make my own... using a sand bag and a stencil.
With one more twist... Christmas tree style! ( customizing truly does rock.)
This method is perfection for
how to make your own 10 minute grain sack pillows christmas style, christmas decorations, crafts, how to, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
A rustic, vintage Christmas is right up my own junk lovin' alley.
And luckily, this cute, Christmas themed grain sack pillow is easy to make, thanks to a premade bean sack bag and stencil!
For the non sewer types, head down to your local hardware store, and look for sand bags. Go through them carefully, and find one that is as smooth as possible.
Or you can also look for plain, premade pillows, premade forms, or fabric (painters' drop cloth would be cool!) you are willing to sew yourself.
This pillow showcases using Christmas Blend Hot Cocoa, mixed with the Homestead Blend Coffee. (each stencil is sold separately)
It's all about the lines though. Use this part of the stencil with most ANY design to get the look!
Here's how many variations you can come up with when you mix these two! Perfect for the (ahem...) slightly indecisive (cough.. who me?) types...
Seriously... I love to see good milage come out of a design, and year around does it for me.
Stencil source is located at bottom of this post.
1. Steam out the burlap wrinkles by placing a wet cloth on the burlap, then ironing on top.
2. Centre your stencil, tape in place so it won't move, then using a VERY DRY (the key) stencil brush, tap the paint on. The drier the paint, the crisper the lines.
Tip: This green is an authentic colour, but red looks equally gorgeous for Christmas! Just make sure the lines are a lighter hue than the design going on top so they don't compete against each other too much.
3. After the lines dry, place your next design on top, and once again, tap on paint with a very dry brush.
Isn't that gorgeous?!
Would be equally gorgeous as a table runner or for Christmas centrepiece or place mats!
Here's a sample of this design (with Hot Cocoa) going on wood, in chocolate and green tones.
YOU are the designer, and it's fun to choose how to use this design!
Fold over the top flap, and your 10 minute cheater, festive pillow is a done deal!
And here is the finished design on a reclaimed wood tray top, sign style. Wouldn't that make an adorable gift?
Or then again, you could always just keep it for yourself.... :)
Marshmallows, anyone?
Find the stencil info and more old sign stencil projects at the blog link below!
Funky Junk Interiors - Donna