Mary Insana
Mary Insana
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Painted Coffee Table inspired by Tonya Miller Dean|Hemets 1964 coffee table

I was looking around Hometalk and saw a beautiful coffee table that was posted by Tonya Dean Hemet and I was inspired. I wanted to do something similar but didn't have a similar coffee table to paint. Enter Craigs List and a $10 coffee table. See for yourself what a transformation with some distressed homemade chalk paint and poly stain on top.
Thanks Tonya for giving me the idea for this table :)
painted coffee table inspired by tonya miller dean hemets 1964 coffee table, chalk paint, painted furniture

• Pme10562259

Is this Annie Sloan chalk paint? It is so great!

• Mary Insana

No this was not painted with Annie Sloan. In fact I've done close to 75 pieces and have never used Annie Sloan. This particular piece was done with homemade chalk paint.

• Jan

Beautiful!!!! What did you do to prep the top of the table for the polystain?

• Mary Insana

I just washed, sanded and wiped of with a damp rag. After it was dry I used a stain poly combination.

• KK

what did you use for the stain poly combination. .. Also was this before u applied the chalk paint ???

• Mary Insana

I used Minwax Polyshades which is a brush on stain with poly in it already. I lightly sanded the top and wiped with a damp rag to get all the dust off, then I painted the bottom part of the table and when that was all done and dry I painted the top and the edges of the top.

• Rita giordano

I am actually doing the same thing right now with the same style table. I love how yours came out but how did you make the chalk paint?

• Mary Insana

I use calcium carbonate which I bought from Amazon.com This is the recipe I use. 2 PARTS PAINT 1 PART CALCIUM CARBONATE I mix the calcium carbonate with a little warm water to a pancake batter type consistency, then I add that to my paint. I save old jars to mix my paint. I usually use the same size paint from Lowes, Home Depot or True Value hardware. Your color choices will not be limited 😄

• Dawn.suitts

How do you make homemade chalk paint?

• Mary Insana

• Vickie Norris

WHY USE CHALK PAINT WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?

• Mary Insana

I had read about chalk paint and wanted to experiment.This was my first chalk painted piece. Many of the companies that sell chalky finish paints say there is "no prep" which leads many to use it. If you do try a chalky finish paint please do your prep which is wash the piece down very good, remember, if it's a very old piece there are years and years of dirty you really can't see. Another reason to wash it down is to remove any waxes or oils from touching. Then you should gently sand the piece. The advantages a chalk paint is that it's easy to distress if you chose to, you can get the flat old fashion paint look. You usually don't have to prime but that usually something that you have to access piece by piece. Some woods bleed through light colors. Chalky finish paint also give great coverage in sometimes one coat, depending on the look you want. You can layer different colors, and then easily sand to bring out each color for a unique look. For more information Google advantages of using chalk paint you'll find a lot of information.

• Billie

What finish was the white paint? Flat or??
    • Mary Insana

I used home made chalk paint using a sample size container of paint.
    • Billie

What finish was the paint before making it chalk paint. Flat finish, or semigloss.?? Sorry If I wasn't clear before. Love the table
  • Joan Larsen-Lohman

How did you don't the top of the table?
  • Paw@702

Can you cover a full body chaise lounger by first spraying with adhesive & then applying fabric over it...what type of sealant could be used to preserve it after fabric is applied?

• Mary Insana

This question has nothing to do with my painted coffee table but I’ll,try tomanswer it for you.

I wouldn’t try to upholster using spray adhesive unless it’s a very small project with straight lines and flat surfaces. When you use spray adhesive you don’t need to seal it unless you’re doing decoupage. Hope this helps

• Sha11256824

I have an oak table just like this but without the raised design on the side panels. I keep sitting here wondering how I dare do this very thing. You have inspired me and given me the courage. i might even go to the craft store to find an emblem to attach on the side panels before painting.. Thank you! Your table is beautiful.

• Rabun

I have the same table and two matching end tables that I have wanted to refinish.

Your make-over is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks