Miranda B
Miranda B
  • Omaha, NE
Asked on Dec 19, 2011

Hello!

JcrawEroque022810Suzy Myers
+4

My husband and I are going to be tackling our bathroom reno first (for those who have been following my questions, kitchen is winning out for next year, bathroom is going to start the year off; thank you for your help!) and I came across this picture on Pinterest and was curious if it was something we could do ourselves.
I love the idea of the inset in the bathroom. Not necessarily the entire length of the wall, but potentially the length of our vanity, which is 30". I know that there is an inset behind our bathroom mirror that we've yet to close off (from a medicine cabinet that the previous owners actually covered up with another giant medicine cabinet that was 36" long and was not set inside the wall). So I know that we could potentially do an inset as long as 16" in between our studs (we have studs every 16" // house built in 1950). But would it be possible to run it as long as 30" if we cut into the studs? I am unsure how that would affect the integrity of the wall and the overall structure of the house, which is why we're waiting. I also do not know if I should be hiring a contractor for this. We'd like to save as much money as possible, as we're pretty big DIYers.
Thank you for your help! Photos are attached.
Bathroom before from MLS listing.
Bathroom before from MLS listing.
Bathroom small 'in-progress" to live with before we knew what we wanted for demo.
Note inset above sinks below mirror. Would LOVE to incorporate that into our small bath.
  • Designs by BSB

Yamini gave some great tips. Building a wall is an idea, but it (may be) more work than you are ready for. Since the area is so small (vanity area), I assume you would want to stretch it across the room. This would mean moving the drain line out for the toilet - big job, not common for a DIY. How about a glass shelf?

q hello my husband and i are going to be tackling our bathroom reno first for those, bathroom ideas, home decor, home improvement, kitchen design, This shelf is by Delta even has a rail around the edge
  • Miranda B

@BeckySue - we do not want to extend it to the entire length of the wall. We only want it to go the 30" from the edges of the vanity. The glass shelf isn't an option; it was there when we first moved in (see MLS listing photo) and I ripped that out the same day of closing. It was hideous and doesn't work in the space. We've got a lot going on in the bathroom when it's all said and done; installation of a different window that will allow us to move the tub to the far edge of the wall instead of on the length of the room. We'll be adding so much extra space by doing that and have a contractor already lined up. @Shella -- you have a FABULOUS idea!! That could really make it unique by essentially creating little "cubbies" or whathaveyou. Thanks for the tip!

• KMS Woodworks

You need to check the wall for a possible "pipe chase" before planning on an inset cabinet...often the pluming vent stack is located there. It could be moved but it is a pain and a lot of work.

• Suzy Myers

How big was your bathroom?

• Eroque022810

Well you will have electricity to deal with since I can see the outlet. I love that you know what you want but even if you build out the wall have you done tiling which I love but then there is mold issues not to mention that it's not an easy job. Honestly if you love this I would say have a professional do the parts you can't do and attack the parts you can to save money. Good luck and may you have your dream bathroom.

• Jcraw

If you're gutting that wall, or part of it, the contractor can move the wall stud to give you room for a cabinet. They can also turn the 2" x 4" flat for less wall depth. That's how our fridge fit in tighter.

• Your comment...