Simple Trees Out of Bead Board and Chicken Wire

Our challenge for this month's blog hop was Bead Board, and I wanted to come up with something I could use for Christmas decor.
simple trees with bead board and chicken wire, christmas decorations, crafts, seasonal holiday decor
I started with a free leftover piece of bead board that I picked up from a cabinet shop. It was already painted white and then I cut some rusty chicken wire that was in the backyard and put them together.
I cut the piece of breadboard to fit the old wooden measuring tape that I had in my stash. I love how it framed the piece.
The piece on the left was painted with Bayberry Green "Old Fashioned Milk Paint". It was cut with the lines going vertically and the other piece with the horizontal lines was going to be the third tree.
In the end the two trees became one tree and I added some faux evergreen sticks to the edge of the taller tree. They are very simple and stylized, but I love how they look. They will be the perfect backdrop to some Christmas decor that I still have to unpack.
I tried adding a sprig of faux red berries and love how it looks. I wanted to keep them simple, but the possibilities are endless as far as attaching things to the chicken wire for more interest. You could make a larger version and attach Christmas cards to it with clothespins, or add ornaments and hang it on the wall. I fell in love with bead board. You should definitely give it a try!
Patina Paradise

2 questions on this project
  • Itsmemic
    Aug 12, 2018

love this...can add so much to this great idea !!

For those Scrooges that don't want to mess with a Christmas tree anymore...I bought a gorgeous hanging wall tree...added my own touch...ornaments..lights..etc...One hanger and it's on...one second and it's off. AND? I store it exactly as is in a Christmas tree bag..flat lying down. Unpacks like a champs and in minutes...after I fluff it up...all done !! Best purchase I made for Christmas !!

I have a tiny house. NO floor space. I remove a large mirror once a year to acomodate the tree...easy peasy !

• Myra
    Dec 06, 2015

The Berries will be great & give more color. I have a Christmas tree made from pallet wood. Love the idea of Chicken wire. Question. Would I paint the wire also?

• Joey Smith
    Nov 02, 2017

Perfect! My husband does not want to put up a Christmas tree anymore and I have been looking for something to hang my remaining angel ornaments on. I will make this a bit larger, frame it with scrap wood, use some leftover wire mesh and hang it on the wall for christmas. Thanks for the great idea!

• Anna Ibarra
    Jan 18, 2018

Ok, super cute and how easy, like that it's flat to store. I even have some left over bead board from a project. Wish I had seen this sooner!!!
    I can always make it now and be ready for the holidays.