Asked on Dec 19, 2011

when is the best time to plant asparagus in zone 7. J.t.

Chiu MeiDouglas HuntArliss H
+7

• Mike and Anne

Anne planted hers n Raleigh in March of 1986. It still makes a good crop though it is about time to re-do the bed. My technique is to dig the bed in the fall and add the manure and leaf compost and lime. In early March dig a trench about 10 inches wide and 8 inches deep and set the soil aside. Put the asparagus roots at the bottom of the trench and cover with about 3 inches of soil. As the spears come out of the ground add more soil and continue the process until the trench is filled again. Then let the plants grow for the season. Depending on the age of the plants you start with it may be two years before you pick your first crop but it is worth the wait. I planted a green, all-male variety for my major planting but did put 8 plants of one of the purple cultivars because I liked the taste of it.

There is nothing like asparagus from your garden, but it does require patience. Anne's advice is spot-on.

• Judy T

Thanks. Will try to plant some this year.

• Arliss H

I planted my 1st bed last April and per instructions I received, I cut back the foliage in Nov (hope that was correct). So now my questions are: (1) Should I do anything at this time to prepare for spring (2) What should I do in spring to prepare for the coming year, such as fertilizing and any other particulars that may help?

in early spring, Arliss, just before the spears start to grow, broadcast a complete fertilizer such as 5-10-10 on the bed at the rate of 2 to 5 pounds per square feet.

• Chiu Mei

I just got my asparagus crows in the mail, and don't know what to do with it? can I plan them now? I am N Raleigh NC

@Chiu Mei Everything I've ever read says asparagus should be planted in the spring, in beds that have been prepared the previous fall. I'm not sure what reliable source would be shipping asparagus crowns at this time of year.

• Chiu Mei

HI Douglas, I found them on this site here: http://www.asparagusgardener.com/asparaguscheckoutexpress.html I guess I just wasted my money then.

@Chiu Mei Before ordering mail order plants from any company I recommend checking them out on the Garden Watchdog segment of the Dave's Garden website. That company has more negative comments than it does positive, and in response to one of the negative comments even the owner writes that asparagus is planted in early spring: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/5696/

• Chiu Mei

thank you Douglas, I learned my lesson :(