Let It Snow-My DIY Wooden Snowflake Shelf

Ana White recently hosted a challenge to make a wooden snowflake. She provided a plan to cut one from plywood, but I really wanted to make something different. If anyone knows me very well, they know that is what I always say about projects--I really want to make something different. HAHA.
I was inspired by a Christmas tree project one of my favorite bloggers recently posted and by Ana's challenge and made a snowflake shelf.
I made it rather large, but it would be easy to modify to make smaller.
I cut the boards for the main body from a 1x4 board. You can find exact measurements that I used in the blog post, but no matter the size, the steps are the same. These could be whatever dimension you wanted depending on the size you want.
I cut 30 degree bevels on four of the boards and attached with glue and nails.
You make six triangles to attach inside each triangle of the main body. Attach with glue and nails.
It's a little difficult to get the nail gun into some of the angles, but it is doable if you take your time.
Lastly, you cut small pieces to attach to each of the six "arms" of the flake. Attach with glue and nails.
Once the glue was dry, I tied twine to it to hang. I decorated with simple things I had around the house--pine cones, ornaments, fake gift boxes. Since this was put together with only glue and nails, it shouldn't be weighed down with heavy objects, but it will hold several lightweight objects for decoration.
It's kind of a beast...I could have stood to make it a little smaller, but whatever....it's big enough to make a statement, right? haha.
Look at all those angles!! Don't be intimidated. Angles never hurt anyone :)
Check out the blog post for more pictures and details on the build.

Woodshop Diaries

• Jag34217742

Yes, I will try to make one for my wife ...starting tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing your idea.

• Chris Hnizdo

These were so awesome that I decided to make a replica of what is on this page, and I also made a smaller (by 1/3) one as well. The angles were even more difficult, but I feel I nailed it!! On the smaller one, I also beveled all the ends of the snowflake, as opposed to leaving them square on the larger one. Personally, it looked more realistic. All in all, a great project, and I may make a couple more smaller ones to hang around the house.