Robyn
Robyn
  • Phoenix, AZ
Asked on Mar 12, 2013

Hummingbird Nest Helper

RobynGayle ValverdeDiane Gilmer
+13

Good morning everyone,
I was just poking around on the web for all things hummingbird, and I ran across this darling cagey thing for pet hair for hummers to use to feather their nest. It was on Amazon and I don't know how to contact the poster. I am taking the liberty to snag her picture and show you and ask if anyone knows where I could find or how I could make such a thing. If the poster happens to be watching thank you so much for this awesome idea!
hummingbird nest helper, gardening
  • Robyn

ok, while I was out walking the sweet pooch who will provide the hair for this, I thought of two things. One is a suet feeder, but I don't have one right now. The other, I do have. One of those decorative balls that is twiggy. I think I will try it with that and let you know how it goes :)

• Kimberly Barney

I was going to suggest the suet feeder. However, I have also seen where people have used the bags that potatoes come in. Other items that birds like to use in their nests are human hair and scraps of yarn.

• Gayle P.

won't this get wet? Will they still use it if it does?

• Jayme

You can usually buy these at a pet store that sell small birds. I have one in my finch cage. I fill it with Timothy hay for them to use in nest building.

• Robyn

oh my gosh you guys, thanks for all the great ideas !!

• Fleurette

@Robyn My mom always used dryer lint mixed with dog hair. Both were readily available!

• Robyn

YEAY, last night I saw a hummer taking some of the white cotton from the nest helper. I am so excited! I can't wait to get my dog groomed Tuesday and ask for some clean dog fur. It is all I can do to keep myself from buying maternity clothes! We are having baby birds somewhere! :)

• Tracey T

Thanks for sharing this, I have never heard of it before this. I will be collecting some dog hair this week in hopes for a hummingbird nest too!

• Robyn

Try it Tracey, it is working! I love to watch the females take the fluff. The first time one did I nearly cried with happiness. I was spellbound. And when I went to the groomer yesterday for my pooch's appointment and asked for clean fur, two of the groomers said they were going to try it too. Oh how I love birds.

• Tracey T

I sure am Robyn, I can't wait! I can feel your joy of happiness!

• Gayle P.

@ Robyn Phoenix,Az. I love watching the birds too,at this time here in Fl. I have been watching a red wing black bird at my bird feeder and I bought some thistle seed for the little gold finches but they seem to like the big bird feeder more. I want to see some hummingbirds.

• Kimi Sharp

If they don't have at pet store, there is a similar cat toy (usually with a bell inside) that is sold at most department stores too..

• Diane Gilmer

A small metal suet holder works well too. I keep mine filled all summer long.

• Gayle Valverde

A wire whisk works pretty well too. :)

• Robyn

What great ideas you guys have~~thanks ♥

• Robyn

That would be great on the loads that are all cotton. Thanks Fleurette!