How to Cover Popcorn Ceiling With Beadboard Planks DIY

$300

When we first purchased our 1980's ranch home, every ceiling was covered in popcorn texture. Witnessing what a mess it was to actually scrape the popcorn (as we did in our living room) I wanted to try something different.
how to cover popcorn ceiling with beadboard planks diy, diy, home improvement, how to, wall decor, woodworking projects
I wanted to brighten the space while also giving it more of a custom feel. We decided to cover our textured ceilings with beadboard.
This is how the ceiling looked before we installed the beadboard and "beams". Someone had actually tried to remove the popcorn (still leaving a lot of texture behind). Then, the painted over it.
We initially tried actual sheets of beadboard, but axed that idea quickly after beginning the project. The sheets of beadboard were way too heavy for me to try holding up (while also being pregnant) while my husband nailed it into the ceiling studs. We found a product that made the job so much easier....beadboard tongue and groove planks! It took the job from being a 4 person project to a 1 , at times 2, man endeavor.
We added mdf beams on top of the beadboard not only to cover the seams, but to give the ceiling a coffered effect. To cover the seams on the perimeter of the room, we added molding.
Just so you can appreciate the full transformation, look at the before photo when we first moved in. Although this project took about a week to complete (we only did a few hours at a time), the pay-off was dramatic. It truly made the room look "finished". It also gave the space more of an upscale vibe.
I would recommend this project to anyone. Just keep in mind it is a bit of a process and investment (about $300 in supplies). To view the full step-by-step tutorial, please visit the post on my site.

Erica Van Slyke

• Dareama Ruble

When we bought our houses.. the first thing to come down in both were the popcorn ceilings.. Yours looks awesome now <3

• Cindy

It’s really such an amazing transformation!! I wish I had an ambitious husband too!!😀