How to Cover Popcorn Ceiling With Beadboard Planks DIY

$300

When we first purchased our 1980's ranch home, every ceiling was covered in popcorn texture. Witnessing what a mess it was to actually scrape the popcorn (as we did in our living room) I wanted to try something different.
I wanted to brighten the space while also giving it more of a custom feel. We decided to cover our textured ceilings with beadboard.
This is how the ceiling looked before we installed the beadboard and "beams". Someone had actually tried to remove the popcorn (still leaving a lot of texture behind). Then, the painted over it.
We initially tried actual sheets of beadboard, but axed that idea quickly after beginning the project. The sheets of beadboard were way too heavy for me to try holding up (while also being pregnant) while my husband nailed it into the ceiling studs. We found a product that made the job so much easier....beadboard tongue and groove planks! It took the job from being a 4 person project to a 1 , at times 2, man endeavor.
We added mdf beams on top of the beadboard not only to cover the seams, but to give the ceiling a coffered effect. To cover the seams on the perimeter of the room, we added molding.
Just so you can appreciate the full transformation, look at the before photo when we first moved in. Although this project took about a week to complete (we only did a few hours at a time), the pay-off was dramatic. It truly made the room look "finished". It also gave the space more of an upscale vibe.
I would recommend this project to anyone. Just keep in mind it is a bit of a process and investment (about $300 in supplies). To view the full step-by-step tutorial, please visit the post on my site.

Erica Van Slyke

• Leslie Rankin-Ryan

Great project- love the results. What size is the room?

• Leslie Rankin-Ryan

what size is the room?

• B. Enne

Looks great !!! Could you please clarify something for me? Is this the pressboard panelling/ wainscoting that LOOKS like tongue and groove planks? I looked at your linked post, but I still am not sure. Thanks in advance.

• Erica Van Slyke

@B. Enne It is Cape cod MDF beadboard plank paneling we bought from Home Depot. Hope this helps!

• B. Enne

@Erica Van Slyke I had planned to do something very similar on my ceiling, so you helped me narrow down the panelling part. Thank you very much.

• Erica Van Slyke

@B. Enne Yay! So glad I could help. Good luck with it!!

• Nan

Beautiful! Still looking for that capiz chandeliar. Where can I purchase it?

• Joyce Overbay

I/we need. A ceiling in our den downstairs. We had a leak and the old ceiling got wet and all had to be removed. Could you put that up and just nail it to the joist? Electric is already run for the two main lights. Will just leave them although I as thinking of canister lights.

• Erica Van Slyke

@Joyce Overbay I am not sure, Joyce. I am far from an expert. haha

• Mel

I would put up dry wall and then nail and glue the panels to that.
  • Debrajohnson57

where did you get the beadboard planks?

• Regina

I have a beach condo with popcorn ceilings done over concrete and this would look fantastic. I wonder if the planks could be glued to the concrete instead of nailing them up. Any thoughts as to whether this would work or not?

• Erica Van Slyke

@Regina eeek! I am not sure. I am not an expert. I would just hope the weight of the planks wouldnt rip off the popcorn over the concrete. Although, the planks are pretty light-weight.

• Bonnie

@Regina The panels would be too heavy for just glue, especially with all the humidity you get down there. It'd have to be tacked to keep it from bowing.

• Judy Ryman Bauserman

Where did you get those awesome chairs?

• Erica Van Slyke

@Judy Ryman Bauserman I got them at a local shop. When I bought them they were silver, but I painted them blue. Thank you so much, Judy!!

• Jerre Miller

Can bead board be stained instead of painted?

• Erica Van Slyke

@Jerre Miller The kind we got was primed mdf, so I would not think so. If you got real beadboard, you probably could.

• B. Enne

@Jerre Miller you could if you used gel stain, since it does not penetrate. I've used it on primed colonial MDF doors. It would be easier just to paint though.

• Chuck Loefke

A very nice effect, and I'm considering it to cover our popcorn ceilings, but did you consider the increased fire hazard? Just curious.

• La Mac

Why would this be an increased fire hazard?

• Susan Wolfe

What is the name of the paint on your walls?

• Lisa

Do you see the seams as in the one photo?

• Cynthia

Any aspestos? Thought popcorn ceilings were full of it.

• Pennyswift

Popcorn ceilings commonly contained asbestos until 1973, when the EPA's Clean Air Act banned most spray-applied asbestos products used for fireproofing and insulating purposes. So if it's an older house it probably does contain asbestos. But if so, it's much safer to cover it than try to remove it.

• Dareama Ruble

When we bought our houses.. the first thing to come down in both were the popcorn ceilings.. Yours looks awesome now <3

• Cindy

It’s really such an amazing transformation!! I wish I had an ambitious husband too!!😀