Scott O
Scott O
  • Orlando, FL
Asked on Dec 20, 2011

I want to put lights under my kitchen cabinets to add more light to my counter top, but my cabinets are flush on the

Eroque022810BarbEly2512234
+16

bottom with no overhang to hide lights. Photos below show what I'm talking about. Any suggestions for how to do this job and make it look professional? Is there a molding I can add to hide the lights?
Under kitchen cabinet - close up
Under kitchen cabinet - close up
Want to put lights under the cabinets to the right of the microwave
  • Designs by BSB

The molding you need is called "Light Rail". Here is a picture of various styles. You have a very simple design so these may be a little too elaborate for you <?>. What is most important is that you plan to have a return to the molding (or that it is L shaped) - this is crucial because you have frameless cabinets - you do not have any reveal below your cabinet doors to attached the molding, you will need to screw up from the bottom. I would encourage you to keep it small, unless you plan to also add crown molding :) If you want something real simple, try calling a local millworks or cabinet shop, they could easily make you a paint grade type material that has no routing details .. functional but not too detailed.

q i want to put lights under my kitchen cabinets to add more light to my counter top, appliances, kitchen design, lighting, Any of these would work other than the one in the middle
  • Depending on your tastes and view (if you picked a nice system and did not mind some visibility), there are some nice LED pucks and stick lighting that have a height of l/2". Placing these near the back of the cabinet bottoms, they would likely not be visible to most people.

• KMS Woodworks

I agree with Kevin's and BSB a small piece of trim...it could even be some simple 1/4 round...or set the lights to the rear. I have done low profile LED pucks, as well as a number of the halogen and mini fluorescents. one trick I have used to keep the wires in line is to attach them with a hot melt glue gun every few inches. This is tons easier than nailing or using the little clips and brackets.

• There are also Led strips as well now that are less than an inch wide, you could easily mask them behind a small piece of decorative molding

• Harold M

I agree with the guys above. A simple trim with LED strips

• LandlightS

I would suggest that you look at Juno Trac12 Low Voltage system. The trac is only 1/2" deep and and if you use their rigid loop lampholder and the xenon lamp you will have a system that will give you great light distribution and is very easy to hide with the simple addition of a low profile light rail. You will need a location for a remote transformer (I generally mount the transformer in the back, uppermost position in a base cabinet and feed the low volt cable to the trac through the drywall.) Specs at this link: http://priserelectric.com/yahoo_site_admin1/assets/docs/110520_Juno_trac_12.139104717.pdf

• Donna S

I use the stick up battery powered lights under mine..They come in flourescent or regular bulb..

• Susan

Used the LED strips! Don't see a thing!

• Kathy Fleming

I bought an 8 pack of battery powered lights at Sam's Club for $15 and they came with a remote.

• LYNN

I have the LED strips and I love them. Got them at Lowes

• Lauren

Try some wireless battery powered lights. These can just stick to the bottom of the cupboard, and they will turn on with motion. I have two in my kitchen and they are pretty cool :) I got mine on amazon

• Becky

You can add simple molding to the bottom to hide whatever you put under it.

• Kathy Bitzan

A trip to the store will amaze you on all your choices.

• Wendy G. Whitcomb

My husband did this for us using LED strips. Our kitchen is part of the great room & with a large pot rack hanging over our island; we needed light in several parts of the kitchen. He is sooo handy & smart with these ideas. You can hide the cords by shoving them between your cabinets-he put in new wall light things lol lol so I have all the light I need now!!

• Denise

LED strips, or for softer lighting, rope lights in clear.

• Ely2512234

I used stick on battery lights, they are great and can't be seen if u place them well back.

• Aj Jones

Yup, my husband just did the same thing! No wiring & quick fix lights whwn needed.

• Barb

Home Depot can help you figure out your options. I know there will be several for you.

• Eroque022810

You see the pic with countertop? Measure it then add that piece of wood all around bottom of cabinets by screwing wood from inside of cabinets it's about 2 inches of "molding" then you can put rope lighting . It would match the overhang of countertop so won't look weird,only thing is that you have to do it to all your cabinets so that they blend in as molding and it's cohesive. Oh, paint it the color of your cabinets.