Denim Rug: Give Old Jeans New Life! DIY

I found myself growing a pile of old jeans – too small, too worn, too torn. You name it. I decided to make a throw rug with that pile of jeans and I am so glad I did.
Start with a pile of old jeans
Start with a pile of old jeans
I cut the main sections (4 panels each pair) avoiding all seems.
denim rug give old jeans new life diy, reupholster
I cut them in one long continuous strip. Cutting up one side and when I reached within 1/2″-1″ of the end of the panel, I turned the denim and cut back down to the other end.
Roll all strands into balls.
With an extra large crochet needle and started in! I just kept crochet stitching in an oval shape and now my feet have a cozy, chunky, durable Denim Rug right in front of my kitchen sink! I love it!
I will never look at a pile of ‘toss out’ items the same again. I am proud of my denim rug, it always attracts attention, and all it cost me is a little imagination, patience, and initiative! I hope this fuels your own re-purposing endeavors… here’s to new life!
Laura's Little House Tips

• Connie

How wide do you cut your strips?

• M. M..

Is the rug starting to give off little unraveling threads from the cut edges of denim? Is it looking fuzzy or softer/more broken in? Do you like that look now? Would you try washing it?

• How many pairs of jeans does it take to make the country round rug ?.

• Brandi

definitely want to try this. looks neat maybe a different technique instead of crocheting. but i love the idea

• Starr
    3 hours ago

Yes I want to try this