Rustic Farmhouse China Cabinet

Come read all about this beautiful transformation by Mary from Orphans With MakeUp! She used Simplicity and just a touch of Chocolate Tart.
Hello it’s Mary from Orphans With MakeUp. Today I am sharing my china cabinet makeover.
The china cabinet was very traditional but I wanted to give it more of a rustic farmhouse look. The first thing I did was remove the top moulding and the fretwork on the glass windows, but don’t worry, I will be recycling these in some other project!
To achieve the rustic farmhouse style, I chose to paint it in classic white “Simplicity” and planked the interior back with peel and stick wood planking. It’s called Stikwood in case you are interested. I then distressed the cabinet and sealed it with the natural wax.
I love the combination of the crisp white paint with the rustic wood. The two just seem to go so well together.
A new moulding was added to the top. Now because I was distressing, the new moulding needed to look like the rest of the cabinet (dark wood). I painted the new moulding with “Chocolate Tart” to imitate wood. After the brown paint dried, I gave it two coats of Tough Coat to act as a resist for the new white distressed paint.
Hope you enjoyed this makeover.

To see more: http://blog.countrychicpaint.com/

• Debbie

Love this! How did you remove the top moulding?

• Jacx

Sometimes those broken sediments are just screwed on or fit over a dowel. This sure brings this piece into a updated use! Love what you did. You could have left the top dark and changed the look a lot. Really lovely.

• Bev Smith

Did you sand or paint over the piece before painting white and distressing it?

• Angel

actually maybe not. Maybe she just sanded in a few areas?

• Ruth Greer

How did you do the distressed

• C Crow

You have made me so sorry I just gave away one of these cabinets as I had no vision for it. Absolutely love what you did.

• Kathy

To make it farmhouse style you could use chicken wire for the doors!