Mosquito / Fly Panel

If you want more air, but don't know how to stop those pesky insects getting in the house, build a simple panel for sliding windows
I made these when I lived in Spain, so when I moved to Colombia and had a similar problem I decided to replicate the idea. All you need is some thin timber, I used 1 1/2" x 1/4" which I had ripped down from larger pieces, glue, brad or pin nails, some mosquito net, and two knobs for manoeuvring the panel.
I made up two panels the same size, measuring the window opening, and made up the frame using the simplest half lap joints. I gave them quick sanding to take away any splinters, then painted them.
Once they were dry, I glued the two panels together, sandwiching the mosquito net inbetween. If you clamp one side together and then stretch the net and clamp as you go it is easy to get a tight looking panel.
As seen from the outside
Slide your window open, the panel slots into the opening (I attached two wooden drawer knobs to make it easier to handle), then slide the window up to the wooden panel, and you now have your air, without being annoyed by peskie insects. One addition I did make was to put a rubber draught proof seal down the sides of the panel, to improve the seal with the frame, because my windows are not 100% square.

PhilCo