Holiday Topiary (Interchangeable)

This is my completed Christmas topiary. I did not drill the ornaments. Instead I used my hot glue gun, minus the glue, to melt holes in the plastic ornaments.
All ready for Christmas.
I began to think as I was bringing in my Halloween topiary that I made this past season, why not re-use the pot and anchored dowel for a Christmas theme
Halloween topiary
This was my Halloween themed topiary. I was inspired by an upscale pricey catalog. I found my pumpkins at Michael's and added the designs and the black wreath. I used a knife to make the holes as hollow core foam pumpkins are very easy to cut. Once cut and painted, they were slid down the dowel to create the topiary.
Removing Halloween!
Once removed I began to think of a Christmas theme topiary. I already had the pot with the anchored dowel which was set in plaster of Paris. I found the dowel at Michael's. It was 38 inches tall and 3/4 in diameter. I followed the plaster of paris directions using a level to check as it dried. And it dries very fast.
Adding Christmas!
After shopping for large Christmas ornaments, I melted the holes in the ornaments to fit the 3/4" dowel. I opened a window as there is some smell from the melted plastic. Also as the plastic melts, it will gunk up your glue gun. After a few holes I just used paper towels grabbing the gun tip quickly and pulling the plastic off. Also when finished, I inserted a glue stick and flushed out the little bit of plastic that melted inside the tip.
Ready to go outside
After adding the top finial, I added some garland to cover up the plaster of paris and give it a festive look. You can see how it looks outside in the first picture.
Of course now I'm thinking ahead to spring and the foam eggs I can probably find at Michael's and the spring topiary I can make!!
Then Summer, perhaps Stars and Stripes ! The possibilities are endless!!!

32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Memorial Day Crafts
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY

• Janice Hallin

Is the top finale an ornament too?

• Ann M

It is an ornament but upside down! You could certainly use a tree topper.

• Jessica Furness

What was the base you used

• Ann M

It's just one of those plastic planters you see everywhere but usually in white. I found mine in black when I did the Halloween topiary and just reused the whole pot with pole for the Christmas theme.

• Wilma Turcotte

Can you use glass ornaments?

• Lori

This is one of the nicest diy christmas decorations I've seen. Very classy. I will think about picking up big ones after Christmas and make two for beside the front door instead of trees. Lovely job.

• SpudBread

FANTASTIC IDEA --- ONE basic  base to use through all the seasons and events--- BRAVO!!!!! totally inspired--- goooooood job---