Margo
Margo
  • Schenectady, NY

Building Our Mantle

We had a dated peach tile fireplace surround with dated plain brown trim, so we tore it all off and started from scratch...
building our mantle, diy, fireplaces mantels, living room ideas
Here's the ugly before picture.
Tearing everything off almost made it look better!
We chose a neutral tile, and my husband did his first tile job ever, and we went with a dark gray grout.
After much time looking at ideas online for a mantle, and browsing expensive ready made options, we decided to build one ourselves mostly from trim pieces.
It took some trial and error and many trips to the home improvement store, but we finally figured out a simple but pretty design.
We also decided to mount our tv above the fireplace, and I love not having to have an extra piece of furniture for the tv to sit on!
My husband didn't want to run the power cords through the wall, because he wasn't sure about fire codes, so we found little white clips to attach the power cord down the side of the left pillar, and I purchased a white power cord so that it would be less noticeable. Unless you're really looking, you don't notice the cord at all. We did run the cable cord through the mantle and left pillar, and the home improvement store had all kinds of gadgets/face plates to insert into the wood to make it look so professional and custom.
I love love love the results!
Margo