Transform an Ordinary String of Lights Into a Lighted Garland

I decided to make my own lighted garland after searching for one had me frustrated. I did not want to spend $50 for one single garland. A string of lights (aff), and some fabric and tulle I already had on hand, and I can make my own! It's so easy even the kids could help.
The first step is to tear your fabric into strips. My fabric strips were between 1 inches, and 2 inches wide. Ripping a plaid fabric results in a lot of strings but I love the torn edges. Just pull off any loose strings and discard them.
I used a cheery Christmas Plaid and white tulle. I tried burlap instead of the tulle, but I liked the bright white paired with the lights more than the burlap.
Tie your strips of fabric and tulle (or burlap, or a second fabric, or even ribbon!) alternating on the strand of lights. I used one fabric strip, and one tulle strip between each light bulb.
Continue until you've filled your strand of lights! In under an hour you've created your own beautiful lighted garland. Check out more Christmas and Holiday ideas and see the full tutorial for this project by visiting the blog link below.

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Kelli @CraftShackChronicles

• Noreen Schaan
    Noreen Schaan

We live in our RV home full-time and I am always looking for easy ways to decorate our home for Christmas. This is it! I too hesitate to buy anything more for Christmas decor when I can give my older lights etc a new and festive look. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea! 🙂🎅🤶🎄⛄👍

• Ann Wade
    Ann Wade

Hi Kelli,

I was writing to request an unlit close-up photo. Luckily I found it on your blog.

Thanks so much for the beautiful idea.