The Nuts N' Bolts of Making a Wooden Christmas Tree

$5

I am big on recycling and repurposing things. I'm always willing to think outside the box. Traditional Christmas trees are naturally beautiful and smell amazing. And yes, I do opt for a real tree every year. But this year I wanted to add to my Christmas decoration something that was a little different. I had been seeing pictures online of these crazy expensive "stick trees" that cost way to much. I mean I loved the concept, just not the price. I guess this year I was in a bit of a Charlie Brown spirit given the new Peanuts movie. I also wanted to incorporate some metal into the make of the tree to give it an industrial flare. So using some scrap wood I gathered in my workshop I created my own "scrap wood tree." It saved me on having to go in the backyard and look for twigs...I mean seriously, it's cold out there ;)
So here's the nuts and bolts on what I did to make this tree.
All the supplies needed to complete the project.
Supplies
3/8-in Threaded Rod 2 Feet
3 - 1x2x8
50 - 3/8-in Washers
30 - 3/8-in - 16 Hex Nuts
20 - 13/16 Screw eyes (optional)
Wood stain or paint
1 1/4 Construction screw
I Cut the 2x2 to create the base of the tree.
Then 21 - 1x2 Furring Strips to starting at 16-in. working my way down a half inch each pieced until I got to 6in. to create the "branches".
Once the pieces were cut I sanded the wood pieces using a medium followed by a fine sanding paper. The last thing you want is a Christmas tree that gives splinters. Then I stained the wood.
Assemble the base.
And secure a 3/8"-16-2 ft All thread in the center of the base securing with Gorilla Glue.
Allow time for the glue to set.
Drilled a hole in the center of each 1x2 "branch" and Started attaching wooden "branches" followed by a 3/8" hex nut and washer.
This was a slow and arduous task...ok maybe not arduous, but it sure did take for ever. Haha. One by one I fit the 1x2 on to the Thread, followed by screwing on the hex nut. Made me glad I got a bolt that was only 2 feet. Screw the nut to each section so that the "branch" is snug but still able to be moved by hand.
Move the 12 pieces to reflect branches.
But once it was all done I celebrated with a big glass of eggnog. Dress with your favorite ornaments and flame-less candles (please no open flame near the wood) :)
Happy Holidays!

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
ToolBox Divas

• Scott Bouslough

Could you use 1x3's so the frameless candles would sit better on the branches? If so, would you modify the size of the base?
  • Valerie Shytle

I love your idea. How many boards, and what length do I need to buy? I love your. I hope I'll be at a location next year so I can do a version of your tree. Love it.👍👍👍💖💖💖 Merry Christmas and have a Great "New Year" to come.🎉👍💖
  • Cassie

What would you use the eye hooks for, would you put them at the ends of the 'branches' to hang ornaments from?