Painting a Gold Lamp and Adding a Blue Shade for a New Look!

$12

This was such a gaudy lamp that i just hated but I really thought I could make it beautiful again! I started by taking the shade off and grabbing my can of white paint that I’ve used on everything at this point. Its a flat acrylic ceiling and trim paint and, I figured, if I didn’t like the flat paint I could always add a coat of clear poly to the lamp to make it shiny later.

It took five coats of paint for this lamp to totally cover. I did a little scuffing on all of the gold and glass with a fine grit sand paper before painting it. (Note: Spray painting would have been a far better option but we have no place to spray paint here in the winter.)

Looking at the very plain white lamp base when I was finished I remembered I had a roll of twine left over from a couple of other projects and thought, “What the heck.” I really didn’t see how I had anything to lose at that point so I got to wrapping the lamp in two separate places. I think the twine really completed it and gave it the whole new look that I was going for. In fact, now with the blue shade, I think it has a little bit of a nautical look that I really like.

The lamp shade from Walmart was about $12 and, besides that, I already had the rest of the materials so, all in, this was an incredibly cheap project and, I think for the little bit of time it took and the little bit of money in cost me I think it turned out lovely!

• Lamp shade
  • Paint

Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
GrandmasHouseDIY

• Mainiebets
    Mainiebets

You know what? I LOVE this! I have a very similar lamp that I have been trying to figure out how to update and this is just perfect. Thanks for sharing!

• Theresa Penrod
    Theresa Penrod

I found these lamps at a flea market for a dollar each. I then saw this post and finished them off. Also with what I had on hand.