Asked on Dec 2, 2015

What is the best brand of drill to ask for this Christmas?

Mary DavisPis2225486Debi53
+17

I decided to ask for my first power drill this Christmas. What brand and version would you consider the best bang for your buck? Thanks so much! :)
  • Sadie Seasongoods
    Sadie Seasongoods

We have a Porter Cable and it's been great! But like Karrah said, too, I've heard great things about Ryobi.

• Vic Ayers
    Vic Ayers

Dewalt is Awesome! Ryobi has a really great warranty...There's my two top choices.

• Denny
    Denny

Dewalt is all my husband buys.

• Margaret E
    Margaret E

DeWalt all the way (I burned up a Ryobi in no time...)

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

(Ryobi sucks.) Go for the most powerful one as you will find cheap ones never do the job you end up wanting to do. A battery pack one is the way to go so you do not have the cord restricting where you can use it. Plan to spend a couple to 3 hundred bucks.

• Lisa Patrick
    Lisa Patrick

Without doubt DeWalt! My husband and I both use one between use and it's a powerhouse for small and large projects.

• Stan Chadick
    Stan Chadick

Bosch tools are great

• Joe Howell
    Joe Howell

Dewalt

• Jacquelin Kettle
    Jacquelin Kettle

Craftsman-Sears

• Vicky Johnson
    Vicky Johnson

Dewalt!

• Lee
    Lee

DeWalt cordless with 2 lithium ion batteries. Or if you want a super light weight drill, I have the Makita drill/hammer drill 18 volt set. Love my hammer drill. Makes an easy job of inserting big screws. Especially if you are a light weight like me.

• Sam
    Sam

Ask the pros what they use. I think you'll find Dewalt or Milwaukee 18 volt in their toolboxes. They last and the batteries are good.

• Mike Tabaka
    Mike Tabaka

I love Ryobi and love that all of the batteries can be used on all of their wireless tools. Home Depot and Ryobi have some great Christmas specials going on right now also!!!

• Dube Fam DIY
    Dube Fam DIY

Just bough a new drill and impact driver recently, so I did a lot of research. Whichever brand you go with, I would recommend going for their Brushless model. It's a huge leap forward in technology and should add years to the life of the drill. I ended up going with Makita and am very pleased. DeWalt and Miluakee are also very well reviewed.

• J Neal
    J Neal

I would buy Milwaukee. Watch for sales.

• From someone who has had most brands on the market, I will highly recommend Rigid at Home Depot. It has been the best drill and drill driver I have ever had (and I have had all of the above mentioned brands and burnt them up, fell apart, or just failed to perform). Rigid is backed by a lifetime warranty and they fit in my small hands and are always ready to do the job! Let me just add that I am switching all my tools to Rigid and I will never go back to the other brands. @ 20+ years of DIY experience

• Debi53
    Debi53

I, too, asked for my own drill one Christmas. Hubby gave me a Dewalt Lithium battery drill. He has a heavy large cordless drill. I have had mine for several years now and we both use it. It is lightweight but powerful enough for all but the most rigorous jobs.

• Pis2225486
    Pis2225486

Hannah, go to a hardware store where they usually have them on display. Pick them up. Each has a different weight, different balance, then some are heavy but with optional smaller batteries. It's a personal preference. I like Ryobi because they are lightweight. This is really good when you are trying to drill at weird angles. But that might not be for you. Maybe you need weight to help you balance at weird angles. Ryobi is an inexpensive brand that is lightweight, but some of their stuff only last a few years (well, okay, a few years of torturous use from my excessive projects and abuse). Dewalt shoul last a long time, but they are heavy. Others might be average and some brands carry lifetime warranties. One thing is for sure, I'm not a big fan of black and decker. They are fine if you are just hanging pictures, but for heavy duty construction, probably not your best bet. But take it with a grain of salt... do what feels safe and good for you.

• Mary Davis
    Mary Davis

DeWalt