Diane S
Diane S
  • Wantagh, NY

Old medicine cabinet gets a facelift for $30

$30

After searching for a new medicine cabinet and not finding any of quality or reasonable price, I decided to just give mine a facelift. I measured the mirror door and went to a craft store and bought an open back picture frame for $25. I removed the door and once properly aligned, I secured the mirror to the frame with metal mirror holders and frame screws. I had to buy the screws separately because the screws that came with the metal holders were too long. I then ran strong adhesive glue all around the edge of the mirror and let dry for around 6 hours. Once dry I reattached the door and voila, it looks like a brand new medicine cabinet. Next up, getting rid of that awful light above it.......baby steps. ;)
Medicine Cabinet in original state
Medicine Cabinet in original state
Lightweight open picture frame from craft store
mirror holders and glue
mirror holders and glue
attached mirror holder to frame
attached mirror holder to frame
running glue around side of mirror
running glue around side of mirror
attached mirror door
attached mirror door
Finished product
Finished product

• Carmen

There wasn't any space in the "before" picture between the light fixture & the medicine cabinet, did you move one of them?

• Flossy

I have a new medicine cabinet. It has to fit the hole that is already there. But I think it is too small. I have another mirror that is lite weight but a little bigger. Looks just like the one you have. Do I have to take off the door of the cabinet or can I just glue it on?

• Rose

Its beautiful.. I've been trying to do that to my medicine cabinet but mine is old and has chrome around the border and has an arch over the door frame. Any solution? It wii be appreciated..

• Lyn

That is an awesome medicine cabinet!!!! Mirror outside, mirror inside, and mirror in the back!!! I would love to find one like that!!!! Good job with the frame !!!! It looks great!!!

• Judy Shaw

Great idea! My mirror on mine is dated and scratches because this one in my bathroom has been in my bathroom since 1972. I've looked for mirrors like mine to just replace it but no replacements. Any ideas would be appreciated.