Old medicine cabinet gets a facelift for $30

$30

After searching for a new medicine cabinet and not finding any of quality or reasonable price, I decided to just give mine a facelift. I measured the mirror door and went to a craft store and bought an open back picture frame for $25. I removed the door and once properly aligned, I secured the mirror to the frame with metal mirror holders and frame screws. I had to buy the screws separately because the screws that came with the metal holders were too long. I then ran strong adhesive glue all around the edge of the mirror and let dry for around 6 hours. Once dry I reattached the door and voila, it looks like a brand new medicine cabinet. Next up, getting rid of that awful light above it.......baby steps. ;)
Medicine Cabinet in original state
Lightweight open picture frame from craft store
mirror holders and glue
attached mirror holder to frame
running glue around side of mirror
attached mirror door
Finished product

• Vicki Thompson Tuccillo

How did you find a frame that fit exactly over the door of your medicine cabinet. Did you do it by just measuring and if so what did you measure from point-to-point. Did you do this WITHOUT buying individual pieces of wood, cutting them and glueing the pieces together before attaching to the mirror door. If so, how did you measure the mirrored door from point to point and find a frame to fit exactly to size?

• Diane S

I measured the entire mirror and made sure the frame I purchased would overlap the edge so I could attached the metal holders. I think I got the frame at Michaels or AC Moore.

• Katherine

This is a great idea! I don't have the money to spend on new bathroom medicine cabinet right now & this is perfect solution...Thanks so much for an inexpensive, but awesome idea.
  • Jrahming87

Did you move the cabinet down?!? It looks like it was adjusted?!?
    • Diane S

Yes, I moved it down because of the frame was coming in contact with the light.
  • Ebby

Looks awesome!

How'd you get it on the hinges?

• Loyce

Looks like your existing door had mirrors on both sides. Is that correct? I’ve never had one of those.

• Carmen

There wasn't any space in the "before" picture between the light fixture & the medicine cabinet, did you move one of them?

• Pauline

It looks like they moved the medicine cabinet down. The one picture shows the old hardware above the new cabinet.

• BettyJo White

She would of had to because the frame takes up more room.

• Flossy

I have a new medicine cabinet. It has to fit the hole that is already there. But I think it is too small. I have another mirror that is lite weight but a little bigger. Looks just like the one you have. Do I have to take off the door of the cabinet or can I just glue it on?

• Rose

Its beautiful.. I've been trying to do that to my medicine cabinet but mine is old and has chrome around the border and has an arch over the door frame. Any solution? It wii be appreciated..

• Lyn

That is an awesome medicine cabinet!!!! Mirror outside, mirror inside, and mirror in the back!!! I would love to find one like that!!!! Good job with the frame !!!! It looks great!!!

• Judy Shaw

Great idea! My mirror on mine is dated and scratches because this one in my bathroom has been in my bathroom since 1972. I've looked for mirrors like mine to just replace it but no replacements. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Ake

you alreday been to Ikea?