Tori Grant
Tori Grant
  • San Antonio, TX

Christmas in a Jar With Lights

I totally know these little mason jar snow globes are not a new idea. I have made these little jars for over two years now to decorate my table or mantle with. This year, I decided to take it up a notch by adding some lights.
christmas in a jar with lights, christmas decorations, crafts, how to, mason jars, seasonal holiday decor
The idea came to me when I did made this Succulent Fairy Garden with Crafts Unleashed. I love how the lights add a bit of whimsy to a project.
First, you will need some lights. I used Micro LED Lights. They are cheap and come two to a pack.
You will also need:
Epsom Salt (or fake snow)
Jar (mine is from Hobby Lobby and I like that it does not have the Ball written on it so you can see whats inside clearly)
Small Tree or whatever else you want to put in your jar. You can peruse the Christmas Village displays at your local craft store for ideas.
Tape, Ribbon, Bells
Once you have your supplies gathered, begin by pouring in a bit of salt.
Add your lights in and pour more salt over them. I used a spoon to cover the lights up. Now the thought did cross my mind if the salt would erode the lights….and I don’t have a good answer for that! 😉 So I will just see as the month goes on if something happens. So far I am on almost 5 days and all is well. The battery is not in the salt so I don’t know if that makes a difference or not If your worried you can always try that fake craft snow.
Once, you have buried your lights tape the battery pack to the top of the mason jar lid.
Here it is a night all lit up.
Tori Grant

• Ness w

Could you put the lights into a smaller jar and place that jar in the 'snow' so you don't have to worry about corrosion?

• Leslie Polanco

Do you think it would be ok to use glitter instead of Epsom salt or fake snow? I was trying to cone up with something that wouldn't be so snowy/wintery..... So I was just wondering how glitter would work???? Anyone know??

• Momlandrs

Another idea is to mix glitter with sand. There are lots of colors of each to mix and match. Good luck. :-)

• Arlene Jones

Simplicity at it's best. Just wondering where you hide the battery pack?

• Linda Duenow

I used the large round canister jar with a lid. I filled it with faux snow ( I like the salt idea) trees, church, and different winter fairy garden characters, snowman , I used the lights and worked one of the light into the church steeple . Made for a fun winter scene lite up .

• Evalynn Wisner

I would use a jar from pasta sauce, remove the label & you have no writing. Reuse, recycle, up cycle.