How to Make Christmas Concrete Ornaments

I started working with concrete only a few weeks ago and I love it! I think the concrete bookends I made turns out pretty well, but you can judge by yourself. It's a great material to work with, and I wanted to give it a try making some modern Christmas ornaments.
how to make christmas concrete ornaments, christmas decorations, concrete masonry, crafts, how to, seasonal holiday decor
They are very simple to make: besides concrete, you will need big plastic bottle caps, dowels, scissors, pliers and paint.
Take a container and make the concrete mix, then pour the concrete in the caps. Stick a dowel in each mold. This will allow you to have a hole to thread a ribbon or a piece of yarn to hang the ornament. Let the concrete dry for at least 2 days. Then you can begin to remove them from the molds.
Sand each side of the concrete piece and paint the ornaments the way you want. I choose to make geometric shapes with gold and copper paint.
Have a look on my blog for more crafts and DIY tutorials.
Update: Since those Christmas ornaments I made several concrete projects, once of the last it this cool pencil holder.
Ama Ryllis

• Deborah Greet Kenney

How do you get them out of the caps ? Love this idea !!

• Ama Ryllis

Hi @Deborah Greet Kenney, You can cut slits in the edges of the caps with a cutter, and then use pliers to open to edges a little. You can see more pictures on my blog.

• Suc2004210

Wat other ornaments can be made with cconcrete

• Jill Ron Pike

@Sucana868 I'm thinking small cookie cutters, sprayed with a little cooking oil to help the ornaments slip out when set. I have some plastic and metal ones I am going to try!

• DianaMarie

Once the concrete is dry, do they twist right out of the cap or does the cap have to be cut off?

• PennyB9

@DianaMarie You might also spray the caps lightly with WD40. I use that in all my concrete molds for easy release, although I've never done anything this small.

• Barbara

Cute idea. Too busy this year but will save for next year.

• Paula Edmonds

Looks great....poly coat them for outside or inside for a shine