Allison Murray
Allison Murray
  • Brownsville, TX

Cover Your Ugly Christmas Tree Base - Simple Fix

Way back when I covered my ugly artificial Christmas tree base with a box that looked like a gift. I've done that again this year but I added weight to the box and height to the tree. This is a bit simpler but still effective. I used this method on my 7 foot tall tree and it worked a dream and whipped up in only 15 minutes!
cover your ugly christmas tree base simple fix, christmas decorations, container gardening, how to, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
See that ugly base? My biggest problem was that my cats were constantly running off with the tree skirt or fighting with it under the tree and knocking the tree over. They would try to climb it too but that darn tree skirt was causing me so many headaches so I decided to eliminate it entirely.
I first started with a moving box, taping it up well and cutting a hole for the pole in the exact center.
The box was trimmed down to size so that the box laid flat perfectly with the bottom of the base.
The "gift" was wrapped and then the tree pole pushed through the box and the base attached.
Flipped back over, I tossed my tree skirt in the Goodwill donation box. The kitties never knocked this sucker over again!
Allison Murray

• Roxanne Llewellyn

so u could actually make ur tree look taller ...mine is too small for my raised ceilings....its 6 feet...so te bigger the box...more height or would sturdiness play a part or does box stabilize and stands pwefectky...very interesting...my kitty does not bother with tree skirt but does like to get under at times...what are your suggestions for tha...please email...grllewellyn@live.com...any suggestions would actually be very helpful or am I fooling myself...please answer..thinking of giving it a lift be nice to make it taller to offset ...thanking for ur ttime and patience...thx or would box the height look unsightly...please info..thx so much grllewellyn@live.com

• Lori

since our first tree twenty years ago was knocked over by our 4 cats - I've been tie ing off with fishing line .. it has never gone over again😻
  • Genie Medlin

Why didn't you show a picture of the finished project?

• Polly Alexander

I love your creativity. I too as some comments show, have to short of a tree. Not being as handy, I used a plastic crate to set my tree on, stand fit perfectly almost locked in so I didn’t have to worry about tipping over. It raised the tree to fit all my presents underneath.
  • Martha Butz

Our 20 month old grandson liked to play hide-and-seek under the fabric tree skirt at my daughter's house, so when I saw this idea I thought it was a perfect solution at our house. And it was! I used bright red foil paper with Santa, etc. on it. The only confusion was when his four year old sister kept asking me why I was giving away our Christmas tree! It took a while before I understood she thought it was wrapped as as gift to give away. Looked great and I'll do it again every year! Thanks!